MultitrackStudio version history
Release 10.5.1 (December 29, 2022):
- EQ: preset menu items show a small version of the curve you see in the EQ window.
- Note Velocity Editor: with the Drum editor you can now make just a single instrument appear in the Note Velocity Editor by clicking an instrument name on the left (so it's highlighted).
- Grid bars (above the editors) now show marker names instead of just a triangle.
- Sampler: importing .exs files works significantly better. On Mac .caf files are now supported, including consolidated ones.
- Remote Control: MIDI device selectors are now in the Remote Control window itself.
- CLAP plugins: supports a few new draft extensions.
- Mac: ARA didn't work on M1 Mac (unless running in Rosetta).
- Mac: Sampler's Loop Editor display showed no data.
- Un-bypassing Saturator effect could cause exception error.
- Issue with saving/loading MIDI patterns.
Some other fixes.
Release 10.5 (September 6, 2022): (read more)
- Poly Modulator MIDI effect, generates MIDI 2.0 per-note controllers or CLAP polyphonic modulation.
- Velocity Curve MIDI Effect.
- Automation editors (Pro edition), MIDI controller editors and Automated Fader effects: the Dots Editor window that pops up on clicking EDIT when multiple dots are selected can now generate Square waves. The Triangle option now has a Shape slider that can turn the triangle into a sawtooth.
- Audio effects no longer emit old reverb tails etc. when the effect is un-bypassed.
- MIDI effects: 'Apply to track' option can now generate MIDI controllers etc. (it used to do notes only).
- Mac: AU plugins can now receive MIDI 2.0 protocol messages (requires macOS 12).
- MultitrackStudio Instruments: synths have a MIDI effect slot. Some sounds use a Poly Modulator.
- MultitrackStudio Instruments: synths respond to MIDI 2.0 per-note Timbre controllers (controls Resonance).
- MultitrackStudio Instruments: synths respond to MIDI 2.0 per-note Attack and Decay controllers (values at start of note count).
- MultitrackStudio Instruments respond to MIDI 2.0 per-note Release Time controller (value at note-off time counts).
- MultitrackStudio Instruments: Electric pianos respond to note-off velocity.
- Sampler responds to Poly Aftertouch and MIDI 2.0 per-note Volume and Expression controllers.
- Sampler can import .exs (EXS24) instruments.
- Touchscreen (Windows): score editor note duration touch handle now offers dotted quarter note.
- The feature that prevents plugins from stealing keyboard focus has been tweaked a bit to make plugins work better.
- Some (minor) CLAP and VST3 plugin compatibility improvements.
- Plugin Manager category selector menus didn't fit the screen if the number of categories was very high.
- Score editor: lasso could select tied notes twice.
- Windows: an exception error could occur if the system clipboard wasn't available for use.
- Windows: crash after punch-in recording with an audio track containing an EQ effect which has multiple automated knobs (Pro edition).
- Onscreen MIDI Keyboard "Keyboard" layout note-on velocity sensitivity didn't work.
Release 10.4.1 (June 15, 2022):
- Supports CLAP plugins.
- Audio track scrubber uses less CPU (this could be a noticeable problem when running in Rosetta on an M1 Mac).
- Some plugin compatibility tweaks.
- Mac: Copy-and-paste from a .m4a audio track to another audio track could result in garbled audio on Intel (or Rosetta) Macs.
Release 10.4 (May 17, 2022): (read more)
- Track editor COPY / PASTE buttons now use OS clipboard. On a Mac you can now copy/paste audio/MIDI between MultitrackStudio for iPad and MultitrackStudio on your Mac using Universal Clipboard.
- "Import Audio/MIDI File" menu option can now paste if you press the Alt (Windows) / Option (Mac) key while clicking. On a Mac you can use this to import audio/MIDI copied on MultitrackStudio for iPad.
- Mac: 'Export Song' / 'Import Song' can now copy / paste if you press the Option key while clicking. You can now copy/paste songs between MultitrackStudio for iPad and MultitrackStudio on your Mac.
- Mac: Export / Import Presets button can now copy / paste if you press the Option key while clicking. You can now copy/paste the presets between MultitrackStudio for iPad and MultitrackStudio on your Mac.
- Missing instrument or MIDI effect plugins are now remembered as 'substitutes'. This makes moving songs back and forth between devices easier. You can replace the Missing Instrument / Missing MIDI Effect placeholder with something you do have. When the song is back on the original device you can load the substitute using the instrument/MIDI effect's options menu. Not available for External MIDI Instruments.
- .midi and .kar files can be imported, pasted or dropped.
- There's now just one message dialog if multiple plugins are missing while loading a song. Also applies to SoundFonts for the Mac version's SoundFont Player.
- Pianoroll lasso now catches note starts (rather than requiring the first half of the note to be in the lasso).
- Remote Control: "Mouse Control" and "Effect Mouse Control" actions now work with 3rd party plugins. You need to click a knob to make it work, some plugins need the knob to be moved a bit.
- External MIDI Instrument: options menu has 'Import' option for patchmap files.
Release 10.3.1 (March 11, 2022):
- Audio editor sometimes no longer showed existing parts after a punch-in recording.
- Exception errors with u-he Zebra2 VST3 instrument (and likely some other VST3 instruments too).
Release 10.3 (February 28, 2022): (read more)
- User interface has been refreshed.
- Preferences window has Layout setting with Desktop/Laptop/Classic/Custom options.
- Mixer sections can now have 3, 4, 5 or 6 effect slots (the 4 and 5 options have been added).
- Small buttons are larger.
- Preferences window has Name Width setting to control width of track name boxes.
- Track editors can now be opened by clicking the Editor Preview pane.
- Audio editor data appears much faster. It also works better with looping.
- The level meters are now between the Rec buttons and the faders.
- You can now right click a meter to change its size (Small / Large / Huge).
- Effect/Instrument slots now show the first 4 or 5 characters of the plugin name instead of "VST" etc.
- Effect Bypass buttons can be toggled by clicking the bottom left corner of the effect slot.
- On larger screens the transport controls are in the middle instead of on the right, so they're closer to the track Rec buttons etc.
- The current value of knobs (and faders) appears above the knob rather than below, so they're no longer covered by a mouse pointer, pencil or hand while moving the knob.
- You can use Click...Shift+Click to toggle buttons on a range of mixer sections. Applies to Play, Rec, Mute, Edit and Collapse buttons and the Editor Preview panes.
- Some names changes: "Cycling" is now "Looping", "Content Panes" are now "Editor Preview panes", "VST Scaling (ugly)" is now "Plugin Scaling (blurry)".
- Windows: VST plugins can be scaled individually, so you don't have to use the "Plugin Scaling (blurry)" option from the Preferences window.
- Windows 11: updated menus, fixed some missing round window corners.
- Windows: now requires Windows 7 or newer.
- Improved VST3 window resizing.
- Compressor: curve and history displays more accurately represent what's going on for Vintage and Vintage Warm programs.
- Audio track data that appears on the Overview Bar while scrolling editors now takes the track editor's vertical zoom setting into account.
- MultitrackStudio Remote: audio track data that appears during rewind/FF now takes the track editor's vertical zoom setting into account.
- The Loop button is now disengaged automatically if it was engaged automatically. This happens when you've used Alt+draw to define the loop region, and when you've pressed F6 to play the selected part of an editor.
- Added L+Left/Right keyboard shortcut to go to loop start/end point.
- Editor rightclick menus now have 'Play Looping' (F6) option to loop selected part.
- Overview Bar / Grid Bar: Removed the 'click-and-drag' way of loop region selection (nobody liked it).
- Overview Bar / Grid Bar: Drawing loop range with Alt (or L) modifier now also works outside the thumb. And it can now be used while tracksport is running.
- Overview Bar / Grid Bar: Double click to start now also works outside the thumb.
- Overview Bar shows the current editor view area while the editors are scrolling horizontally.
- Pianoroll: step recording works a bit different: Ctrl/Cmd=add note, Shift=add rest, Alt=reverse direction.
- Some keyboard shortcuts / mouse modifier keys changes to make them easier to memorize ('A'=All, 'C'=same Color, 'L'=Loop).
- Dropping MIDI files with SysEx-only streams on editors works better.
- MIDI file import: markers are ignored if there are more than 20.
- Fixed some VST3 and LV2 plugin bugs.
- Matrix Keyboard produced notes with extremely low velocity.
- MultitrackStudio Instruments: "Strength" knobs didn't work.
Many other small improvements and fixes.
Release 10.2 (September 13, 2021): (read more)
- Mac: native Apple Silicon (M1) code. It's now a universal binary with both Intel and Apple Silicon code.
- Track name box menus now have Duplicate option. It creates a new track with a copy of this track's content.
- Note Editor has per-note articulation setting. It's only available if articulations have been set up for the MIDI instrument.
- Added 'Raw MIDI Channels' Articulation preset.
- Audio can be dragged or copy/pasted from audio track editor to Automated Fader, MIDI controller and automation editors. The amplitude envelope or audio pitch will be converted to dots.
- Dots Editor has new Invert action, it flips the dots vertically. Applies to Automated Fader, MIDI controller and automation editors.
- Dot Editor now has Position box and "To grid" button. Applies to Automated Fader, MIDI controller and automation editors.
- Supports MIDI NRPN parameters.
- Keyboard shortcuts for Multi MIDI Editor: Ctrl+U (Windows) / Command-U (Mac) = all MIDI tracks, Ctrl+Alt+U (Windows) / Option-Command-U (Mac) = MIDI tracks having same color as focused track.
- Windows: Removed DirectX plugin support from 32 bits version.
- Pianoroll: lassoing notes has been improved to work better with consecutive notes.
- Windows: UI looks better at scaling sizes >= 200%.
- MIDI Pattern Editor's "Instance Transpose" setting didn't work right for Poly Aftertouch, Per Note Pitchbend and Per Note Controllers.
- Issue with deleting lassoed notes in pianoroll/score editor.
- Windows: a bridged VST2 plugin could appear a bit too high in its window, depending on display scaling settings.
- Windows: fixed some (minor) editor graphics drawing artefacts.
Release 10.1 (June 18, 2021): (read more)
- Supports VST3 MIDI effects. VST3 instruments and audio effects can now have MIDI output.
- Supports LV2 effect, instrument and MIDI effect plugins.
- 3 additional track colors. The existing ones have been fine tuned.
- 'R' mouse modifier for transport play/stop button: engage the Rec buttons of the last recorded tracks ('Re-Arm').
- 'Alt' mouse modifier for track's Play, Rec, Mute, Solo, Edit and collapse buttons: toggles all same-color tracks.
- Track name box can be made wider using W+Click. Add Shift to make it narrower.
- Significantly improved VST3 plugin compatibility.
- Mac: Improved AU plugin compatibility.
- You can still use the keyboard to control transport if a plugin steals keyboard focus (in most cases). This new behaviour can be turned off in the Plugin Manager.
- Onscreen MIDI keyboard still works if a plugin steals keyboard focus (in most cases).
- Multi-output plugins: names of outputs provided by plugin now appear in Output Mixer. They're also used for sidechain source names (Pro edition).
- Remote Control: 'Mouse Control'/'Effect Mouse Control' actions work with VST3 plugins that support IParameterFinder.
- Missing VST2 plugins: the Missing Effect/Instrument windows now have a 'Find VST3 version' button. Only works if the VST3 plugin exposes its VST2 ID.
- MIDI tracks respond to MIDI keyboard if one of its effects is visible (just like it already did for the instrument slot).
- Collapsed track's name now appears in the track's color.
- Pianoroll/Drum editors: Shift key can be used to ignore the Snap button, so you can add/move notes anywhere.
- Pianoroll/Score/Drum editors: keyboard shortcuts now always work, even if the track's controller editor is visible.
- Score editor: 'A' modifier can be used on the note duration box to add/remove dot.
- Windows: editors work with the mouse while the program is in touchscreen mode.
- Mac: MIDI 2.0 device protocol changes are now handled.
- The Quantize and Legato options in a MIDI track editor's Edit Control window didn't update per-note controls.
- Copying (imported) MIDI controllers to automation editors: multiple values at the same time location are handled better.
- Windows touchscreen mode: Tempo editor 'Stretch Accelerando' option (from SEL menu) now works as expected with pen or mouse.
- Windows: doubleclicking a song in File Explorer to open it wouldn't work on certain drives.
- Mac: Bluetooth audio devices (AirPods etc.) could cause problems if it was selected as Audio In Device.
Release 10.0.1, Mac only (April 29, 2021):
- MultitrackStudio wouldn't run in macOS 11.3.
Release 10.0 (March 15, 2021) (read more)
- Supports per-note MIDI controllers (MIDI 2.0 pitch bend and all MIDI 2.0 registered controllers except for #3).
- macOS 11: can use MIDI 2.0 input/output devices.
- Supports MPE keyboards.
- Supports VST3 note expression.
- Supports MPE VST3/VST2/AU instruments.
- The MultitrackStudio Instruments support MIDI 2.0 per-note pitch bend, the synths also support per-note brightness (controls the filter cut off frequency).
- The Sampler supports MIDI 2.0 per-note pitch bend and per-note modulation.
- Per-note expression for external MIDI instruments ('multitimbral expression').
- Windows touchscreen: onscreen MIDI keyboard has 'Use per-note pitch bend' option.
- Keyboard Mapper (formerly Keyboard Splitter) can now convert controls to other controls, and it can transpose by a number of semitones.
- All editors update the per-note controls automatically.
- Note Off Velocity editor. Note-off velocity is supported throughout.
- Pitch bend editors can now zoom and scroll vertically.
Some other improvements and fixes.
Release 9.7.2 (January 1, 2021)
- 'Try pull mode' is now enabled by default on Windows 10. Existing settings aren't changed.
- Controller/Automation/Automated Fader editors weren't updated immediately after drawing a curve.
- Automated Fader effect didn't remember dot at zero position.
- Pianoroll/score editor Repeat option was grayed out when a single note was selected.
- Mac: SoundFont Player could make program unresponsive on macOS 11.
- Mac: rare issue with AU plugins that return invalid floating point numbers.
- Mac: issue with some audio devices that sometimes return an invalid floating point number for the recording level.
Release 9.7.1 (September 8, 2020)
- Automation editors (Pro edition), MIDI controller editors and Automated Fader effects: the Dots Editor window that pops up on clicking EDIT when multiple dots are selected now offers several new functions. Sine or triangle shapes can be created, either in Hertz or in beats. Amplify and the new Vertical Shift can gradually fade in or out.
- SysEx editor supports "sequencer specific meta events". They aren't sent to MIDI instruments (MIDI doesn't allow for that), but they are saved in MIDI files.
- Songs with huge amounts of automation data save/open faster (Pro edition).
- Quantize and custom grid resolutions can now go up to 16/4.
- MIDI file import/export: Some tweaks regarding SysEx messages. Messages like "XG On" will now appear in exported MIDI files before any other messages if you make sure it's at position 0.
- External MIDI Instrument slot mentions patch, bottom bar also mentions MIDI channel. MultitrackStudio Instruments, Sampler, SoundFont Player (Mac) and Convolutor tooltips have been updated accordingly.
- MIDI Patterns could disappear if the Song Editor's insert options were used.
- Windows version wouldn't find some VST2 plugins if song came from Mac version.
- Mac: fixed some problems with macOS 11 (Big Sur).
- Fixed many significant issues that caused exception errors. Thanks for sending error reports!
Release 9.7 (July 14, 2020): (read more)
- SysEx support: import from/export to MIDI files, edit and playback. Recording not supported. SysEx messages are sent to External MIDI Instruments and to VST2/VST3/AU instruments/MIDI effects.
- MIDI import: XF-style chords are now detected.
- Export MIDI Tracks: chords can now be included (they're stored in XF style, but the file isn't a full blown XF file).
- Export MIDI Tracks: can optionally export to format 0 file.
- MIDI export/import: lyrics can optionally be UTF8 encoded.
- Label colors can be changed. The option appears on a label's rightclick menu.
- Added General MIDI 2, Roland GS en Yamaha XG patchmaps.
- Patchmap files can now be imported by dropping them on an External MIDI Instrument window. .ins (Cakewalk instrument definition) files can be dropped too, they'll be converted automatically. On Windows, user patchmaps are now stored in 'C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\MtStudio\Patchmaps\'.
- Imported patchmaps can now be deleted: rightclick in the menu and choose Delete.
- External MIDI Instrument: Patch Selector has 'All' category and search box.
- Saving a MIDI track as audio now uses the track's instrument plugin rather than a second instance of it. This avoids loading delays or problems with plugin demo messages etc.
- Tuner effect now 'always works', regardless of Rec and/or Soft Monitoring buttons.
- "Percussion Channel" button has been removed from External MIDI Instrument windows. Drum kits now appear in the Patch Selector, and the MIDI channel will be updated automatically on selecting a patch.
- MIDI Effect selector now has Presets category.
- Various (minor) improvements in the Lyrics Prompter and the Chords/Lyrics and Comments editors.
- Drum editor: instrument added by user will no longer be removed automatically when it becomes empty.
- MIDI file import: bank could be incorrect with certain format 0 MIDI files.
- Mac: very rare exception error on closing alerts or file dialogs (now really fixed!).
Some other improvements and fixes.
Release 9.6.2 (May 5, 2020):
- Some MIDI controllers weren't sent to VST3 instruments.
- Mac: very rare exception error on closing alerts or file dialogs.
- Score editor: accidentals weren't correct for transposed instruments (Bb clarinet etc.)
Release 9.6.1, Pro edition only (Apr 8, 2020):
- An exception error occurred when a stereo track that acts as sidechain source is muted (either because the track itself is muted or because another track is soloed).
Release 9.6 (Apr 2, 2020): (read more)
- Reference Files for comparing your master to commercial tracks (Pro edition).
- 'Export tracks to audio files...' is renamed to 'Export audio stems...'. It can now export groups as well, and there's an "Include track effects" button (Pro edition).
- Tuner has Pianoroll mode.
- Onscreen MIDI keyboards: changed keyboard shortcuts, they're more convenient now.
- "Scrubber on track editor" setting now also affects MIDI notes lassoing: if you turn it off you won't hear MIDI notes being lassoed.
- MIDI Controller editors: Dots Editor now has 'Straight Line' option, it connects the first and last selected dots using a straight line.
- New 'higher' mp3 quality in 'Mix down to audio file' window. Creates 192kbps (stereo) / 96kbps (mono) files.
- Track output selector dropdown lists now show the text of any labels on group sections (eg. 'Group 1 (Backing Vocals)' instead of just 'Group 1').
- 'Save everything in song' now remembers collapsed mixer sections.
- Quantize and custom grid resolutions can now be something like "2 in 3/8", which would be duplets. Until now the "3" in this example could only be "1".
- Track sidechaining: a track that is sidechain source now still sends sidechain signal if its Mute button is engaged. A track that consumes a sidechain can now be soloed with working sidechains. And it's now easier to use a track as sidechain source only (until now you had to route it to a muted group to mute it). (Pro edition)
- Pianoroll/Score editors have new 'L' (legato) mouse modifier. It makes the note(s) play until the next note starts.
- Tuner: pitch detection is more reliable, meter is easier to read, reduced CPU usage.
- Easier mapping of effect controls to Remote Control knobs: tweak an effect control using the mouse, and then click the Remote Control Bar. The effect control is now highlighted in the selector window, and you can click OK to map it.
- Remote Control Bar now has more than 8 sections if the remote control is set up to use more than 8 mixer sections or effect knobs.
- External MIDI instruments: patchmap can now be set to 'None', this may be more convenient than using a patchmap for a different device.
- External MIDI instruments: the Bank:prog box now accepts something like MSB:LSB:2 (the bank will be calculated from the MSB and LSB values).
- Clip Shelf: parts can now be dropped anywhere (rather than only on the 'Audio/MIDI Clips' header). You can now drag files from Windows/macOS to the Clip Shelf. Songs remember whether Clip Shelf is visible if 'Save everything in song' is on.
- Comment / Lyrics / Chords editor windows: Ctrl++/- (Windows) / Cmd-+/- (Mac) shortcuts zoom text in and out.
- Remote Control: Info button was disabled for MMC preset.
- Deleting a MIDI pattern in Ripple mode could cause exception error.
- Importing audio files: file names starting with a space caused problems.
Release 9.5 (Dec 12, 2019): (read more)
- Sampler: New 'library' concept. A library is a collection of patches. Importing a GM soundfont file will generate a library of about 128 patches, for example. Libraries can be exported as .zptc files, so they can be moved to another computer etc. The .zptc file is actually simply a zipped version of the folder that contains the .ptc (patch) and sample files.
- Sampler: Library Manager, where you can add category names. The categories appear in the Library selector.
- Sampler: Optional 8 channel output mixer. This will typically be used for drums. In the Pro edition these output channels are available as sidechain sources in other tracks.
- Sampler: Multiple samples can be added for the same note and velocity. They'll be used in Round Robin fashion.
- Sampler: Loop Editor for optimizing loop points.
- ARA 2 plugins can be used in Audio Edit Control effect slots.
- 'Rewind on stop' option in Preferences window.
- Sampler: Release time can now be set for each sample. The UI has a Release knob that multiplies these values. The 'Discard Note Off' option is removed (a release time >= 100 seconds is interpreted as 'infinite').
- Sampler: Pan controller now affects notes that are playing when the controller message comes in.
- Sampler: Improved disk streaming.
- Sampler: Improved .sf2/.gig/.sfz importing.
- Sampler: sf2 files can be up to 4GB
- Sampler: Memory limit settings moved from Preferences window to Sampler options menu.
- Windows: 32 and 64 bits versions now share a single installer which installs the right version. You'll be moved to the 64 bits version if you used the 32 bits version in 64 bits Windows. If you need the 32 bits version in 64 bits Windows you can run the installer with command line parameter /32.
- Help/manual layout and image quality improvements.
- Mac: help viewer table-of-contents button is now enabled.
- Mac: Onscreen MIDI Keyboard in macOS 10.13 and older: the keyboard shortcuts which were missing since version 9.4 now do appear after the corresponding computer keyboard key has been pressed.
- Mac: SoundFont Player's SoundFont selector can now be controlled with MultitrackStudio Remote.
- Mac: SoundFont Player's SoundFont selector now has search box.
- Windows touchscreen: swiping left/right over counter now steps through recent start positions (just like pressing alt+left/right arrow).
- Windows: An error occurred on editing a .m4a file (and some other file types).
- Mac: Effect selector sometimes caused crash on clicking it.
Release 9.4.2, Mac only (Sep 3, 2019):
- MultitrackStudio didn't always appear in Security & Privacy --> Microphone (macOS 10.14).
Release 9.4.1, Mac only (Jul 20, 2019):
- Retina display scaling issue in macOS 10.14 (Mojave)
- 'A' mouse modifier key didn't work in score editor
Release 9.4 (Jul 19, 2019): (read more)
- Mac version is now 64 bits. No longer works with OS X 10.6, 10.7 or 10.8.
- Mac: Supports VST3 and AUv3 plugins.
- Mac: SoundFont Manager. You can override soundfont name and add category to name.
- AU/VST2/VST3 plugins can now reliably detect the transport stopped.
- Several VST3 compatibility improvements.
- Windows: the right version is now used if 32 and 64 bits version of a VST2 plugin have the same name.
- There's now always monitoring for Melodyne plugin if transport is stopped, even without engaging the Rec and Mon buttons.
- Audio track Edit Control: effects are now applied while you're tweaking them, rather than when you close their window.
- Added 133% UI scaling option.
- 'Save everything in song' didn't remember 'Snap' button state.
- Matrix Sampler presets didn't load any associated effects in track effect slots.
- Vocal Tuner sometimes threw exception errors.
- VST3 plugins with multiple outputs: last channels contained random noise.
Release 9.3.1, Windows only (May 5, 2019):
Fixed: Plugin Manager crashed on Windows computers without VST plugins.
Release 9.3 (May 3, 2019): (read more)
- Plugin Manager.
- The editor grid can now show triplets (or any tuplet), or have swing.
- "Save 'everything' in song" option in Preferences window.
- Solo buttons are now stored in the song file. Applies to mixer sections, Multi Instruments and plugin output mixers.
- VariSpeed settings are now stored in song file (Pro edition).
- Songs now continue loading after a plugin caused an exception error.
- Some score editor improvements, most have to do with the appearance of notes that are being moved.
- The editor zoom shortcuts have been changed to the standard Ctrl +/- (Windows) / Command +/- (Mac).
- Touchscreen (Windows): Score editor vertical zooming now uses much smaller steps, this makes it more useful.
- Touchscreen (Windows): Onscreen MIDI keyboard's keyboard, string, drum and matrix layouts are now (optionally) velocity sensitive.
- Touchscreen (Windows): Onscreen MIDI keyboard Finger Vibrato option no longer makes keyboard and string layouts monophonic (but finger vibrato only works if just one note is playing).
- Touchscreen (Windows): Onscreen MIDI keyboard's keyboard, string and matrix layouts can now generate polyphonic aftertouch (by moving finger upwards).
- MultitrackStudio Instruments: bowed strings, winds and synths now respond to polyphonic aftertouch (it increases the volume level).
- Polyphonic aftertouch editor names now mention note name rather than key number (ie. 'C5' instead of '60').
- EQ: creating spectrum presets didn't work if you never created any preset on this computer.
- Quantization triplet options had wrong names (triplets of 1/4 instead of triplets of 1/8 etc.)
Some other improvements and fixes.
Release 9.2 (Feb 14, 2019): (read more)
- Audio/MIDI editors: 'edit controls' (the windows that appear on clicking an EDIT button) now work live. Any changes you make are applied immediately, so the result is visible (and audible if transport is running). The Apply button is removed, you can of course use the editor's Undo button if necessary. There are several other 'edit control'-related improvements.
- Note velocity editor: mouse moves are now applied immediately, so you can hear the result before releasing the mouse button.
- Quantize 'swing' options are now separate controls (this makes tweaking it 'live' easier).
- MIDI editors: New 'Duration only' quantization type. The existing 'Full' en 'Keep Note Off' types have been renamed to 'Start and End' en 'Keep End'.
- MIDI editors: Quantize resolution selector menu now has 'Type value' option which allows for entering tuplets. You can type '5 in 1/4' to quantize to quintuplets of 16th for example.
- Mixer section knobs, faders and mute/solo buttons can now we used while an editor or 'edit control' window is visible (without hiding this window).
- EQ: graph now has 6 colored dots, corresponding to the 6 EQ bands. Dots can be moved (the corresponding frequency and gain knobs will be adjusted accordingly). Dot movements can be recorded as automation (Pro edition).
- EQ: 'no bands' spectrum looks nicer.
- EQ: the graph can now display a reference spectrum. A standard one is built-in, and you can extract the spectrum from audio files. This feature replaces the 'flat mastering' option.
- The Devices window, with the 'Select Devices' button, is removed. You now go straight to the former 'Select Devices' window. The info that was displayed in the Devices window now appears on hovering the Devices menu item.
- Windows 10: a helpful message appears if audio recording isn't possible because of Windows privacy settings.
- Master Limiter / Noise Gate: histogram 'curtain' movements can be recorded as automation (Pro edition).
- External MIDI Instrument windows: Patchmap selection is moved to options menu ('hamburger' button). The default patchmap can be selected there as well (it was in the MIDI Out Options window).
- Multi Instrument: option to switch between Layered and Articulation modes is now easier to discover.
- Mac: SoundFont Player has better support for soundfonts with very large release times (like 'GeneralUser GS'). You need to import the soundfont again to benefit from the improvements.
- Fixed some issues that caused exception errors (and hence error reports being sent).
Various other improvements, fixes and performance enhancements.
Release 9.1 (Oct 31, 2018): (read more)
- Fader/knob movements can now be recorded as automation. VST/AU plugin parameters can be recorded too. (Pro edition)
- Faders and knobs now have rightclick menu with 'Show automation editor' (Pro edition) and 'Type value' options. Knobs also have 'Center' option.
- The Sustain MIDI controller is now continuous rather than on/off. This allows for 'half pedalling'.
- MultitrackStudio Instruments acoustic pianos now support half pedalling (values 64..95 are 'half').
- VST/AU plugins: in playback mode the plugin UI graphics now sync better with the audio you hear (meters and timelines etc. used to lead very noticably).
- MIDI editor 'Legato' option now works on all notes, not just the ones that are close already.
- Overview bar: markers that are moved now go to 'nice' position if counter is showing bar:beat (just like thumb).
- Updated fader/knob mouse modifiers are easier to remember: 'a'=show automation editor, 't'=type value, 'c'=center (knob only). 't' now works on counter too.
- Touchscreen (Windows): swipe left over start/stop button to rewind. Also stops transport if it's running.
- Error dialogs now let you read the report before sending it.
- MIDI pattern editor: track didn't update immediately after editing certain controllers.
- Mac: Cmd-Option-L shortcut (for Lyrics editor) didn't work.
- Chord tracks inadvertently depended on 'Middle C Name' setting.
- Score editor didn't immediately display recorded notes after cycle recording.
- MIDI effect 'apply to track' option didn't always use the right MIDI channel.
- Loading a Multi Instrument in a Multi Instrument caused error.
Some other improvements and fixes.
Release 9 (Aug 27, 2018): (read more)
- Content Panes on tracks (display editor data compactly).
- VST3 support (currently Windows only).
- MIDI effects (Arpeggiator, VST2, AU).
- Articulations for External MIDI Instruments and VSTi/AUi plugins. You can use a MIDI controller to switch between bowed and pizzicato violin, for example.
- Multi Instrument: combine up to 5 MIDI instrument in one instrument. Can be used for different articulations (one plays at a time) or for layering (all play simultaneously).
- All MIDI Instruments now have an option to specify note names (these names appear in the drum editor).
- Better support for Waves VST2 plugins. They can now run bridged (Windows). Songs will still load the plugins after updating Waves plugins to a newer version.
- Most VSTi plugins that fail to stop any playing notes when transport stops now become silent anyway.
- Cycling transport: transport bar now has Cycle button.
- Rewind/Fast Forward now try to move to 'nice' position if counter is showing bar:beat.
- EQ spectrum display: 'Full Scale" box goes to lower value if 'dB/div' is set to 10.
- Note Editor window: you can now type semitone offset in Note box (for example: if it's C5 and you type -2 it becomes Bb4).
- Pianoroll/Score/Drum editors: a series of notes can be selected by clicking one, and then clicking another while pressing the Shift key.
- MultitrackStudio Instruments synths: attack is now linear rather than exponential, in order to avoid the synths being noticably 'late'.
- Level meters no longer have 'LED' segments.
- The MultitrackStudio Remote iPad app has been updated.
- "Revert to Version" menu didn't always list versions in chronological order.
- Running an audio track in practice mode no longer clears the track editor undo history.
- Windows touchscreen: automatic horizontal scrolling while resizing selected part on the right hand side didn't work reliably.
- Mac: some windows other than the main window would go full-screen if the main window was full screen.
Various other improvements and fixes.
Release 8.5 (Nov 22, 2017): (read more)
- MIDI Patterns received a major overhaul. You can now tweak a pattern live while the transport is running. You can now save your patterns as presets. Comes with built-in preset patterns. Patterns can have different colors. Etc.
- New "Follow" button. Editors don't follow transport position if this button is off. You can use this if you want to apply some edits while the transport is running so you don't have to worry about the editor moving to the next page unexpectedly.
- Lyrics prompter now appears automatically on loading a song which contains lyrics or chords. This is more convenient when used on stage.
- Pianoroll: 'Split at transport position' and 'Split note here' now also works when multiple notes are selected.
- Pianoroll/Score editors: Repeat now also works if just a single note is selected.
- Score editor: S and F mouse modifiers (Sharpen/Flatten) now work while dragging just like they do while adding a new note.
- Editors show stretch percentage value while stretching a part.
- Editors: richtclick menu now has 'Unselect Right' option.
- Remote Control: added basic MMC (MIDI Machine Control) preset.
- Better visual feedback while dragging audio/MIDI files over MTS windows.
- Some (minor) MIDI editor improvements.
- Removing click track could cause error in some cases.
Release 8.4 (Aug 14, 2017): (read more)
- Windows 10: audio playback device can be used in 'shared mode', so other programs can use it while MultitrackStudio is running.
- Windows 7 and newer: .m4a files are now supported (you can open them and export to .m4a).
- Windows 7 and newer: existing aac/ac3/mp4/wma files can be used.
- Mac: can now save to .m4a 'everywhere' (rather than just in the Mix Down window).
- Mac: added 'lossless' to the list of .m4a file qualities. This creates a 16 bits Apple Lossless ('ALAC') file.
- Windows 8 and newer: An mp3 encoder is no longer required in order to export to mp3.
- Native support for PreSonus FaderPort remote control.
- VST plugin folder(s) can be rescanned by pressing F5 (Windows) / Cmd+R (Mac) in effect/instrument selector.
- Touchscreen (Windows): Redesigned editor user interface: The mode buttons have been removed. A selector now appears on touching an editor, and you can pick an action by moving your finger in that direction. Editors can now be scrolled at any time without having to worry about the mode buttons. MIDI and automation editors now always use 'handles' to move notes/dots.
- Sampler: improved SFZ import (now supports 'default_path')
- MultitrackStudio Remote and 'Web Browser' remote controls can now handle more than 128 mixer sections.
- Automated Fader / automation editors / MIDI controller editors: dots are easier to grab with the mouse.
- Remote Control Device window: MIDI device selector dropdowns now update if you (un)plug the device.
- Windows: 'Select Devices' window: MIDI device selector dropdowns and WASAPI audio device selector dropdowns now update if you (un)plug the device.
- Time signature can now be edited while transport is running (unless there are recording MIDI tracks).
- Mac: Comment, Lyrics, Chords windows and Lyrics prompter can be zoomed using two finger pinch gesture on trackpad.
- Various editor improvements (both visible and invisible).
- Automated Fader / automation editors / MIDI controller editors: value next to dots didn't always appear correctly.
- Mac: "Mix down to audio file" can now create 48 kHz .m4a files (it always created 44.1 kHz files).
Various other improvements and fixes.
Release 8.3.1 (Mar 8, 2017):
- Convolutor / Guitar Amp: very short IR files didn't work right.
- Mac: got rid of "is from an unidentified developer" message recent macOS versions showed on launching MultitrackStudio for the first time.
- Some VST plugins would cause an access violation while processing audio.
- Some VST plugins would crash immediately on loading the plugin.
- Resizing VST plugin window didn't work properly if plugin UI had very small height initially.
- Monitoring the 'Internal' sidechain input on a VST plugin could result in silence. Also applies to AU plugins on Mac.
- Mac: user interface of some VST plugins was not visible (window very small).
- Mac: sidechaining an output from a multiple-output AU instrument to an audio track would crash. (Pro edition)
- Mac: some multiple-output AUi plugins didn't have output mixer.
- Mac: some AU plugins turned stereo signal into mono.
- Mac: unloading certain AU plugins no longer leads to MTS crashing and terminating.
Release 8.3 (Jun 13, 2016): (read more)
- Audio track input selector now has 'Practice Mode tracks' option.
- Tempo editor: "Conduct" (tap new tempo for selected part). You can tap an accelerando for example.
- Tempo editor: Ctrl key can be used to create a gradual tempo change (accelerando/decelerando) while moving the righthand side of the selected part.
- Touchscreen (Windows): Tempo Editor SEL menu features 'Stretch' and 'Stretch Accelerando' options. After picking one you can resize the righthand side of the selected part. The accelerando version creates a gradual tempo change.
- Tempo editor now updates live while stretching or warping selected part.
- Tempo / Time Signature editor buttons (Undo etc.) can be controlled using keyboard shortcuts. There's a dot on the left that indicates which of the two editors is has keyboard focus (similar to tracks).
- Auto Wah effect.
- Punch recording with External MIDI Instruments: existing signal is now audible, just like it is with audio tracks and software instruments.
- Tempo editor: Undoing a "tweakable edit" now undoes the last tweak only, rather than all tweaks. All other editors work this way already.
- Tempo / Time Signature editor: lesser used buttons (Cut, Copy, Paste, Repeat etc.) are now in new 'More' menu.
- 'Add Click Track': BPM value is no longer limited to whole numbers.
- OS X: 'Tap tempo' boxes are more accurate.
- Various bug fixes.
Release 8.2 (Dec 28, 2015):
- Guitar Amp effect now features 3 stompbox effects. Each can contain Auto Wah, Booster, Chorus, Compressor, Delay, Echo, Flanger, Noise Gate, Phaser, Pickup EQ, Reverb or Tremolo. Comes with 40 presets by Christian C. Thompson.
- Guitar Amp now allows for loading your own speaker impulse response file.
- Convolutor effect now has Random button to make reverbs sound smoother.
- Windows: more VST DPI scaling options. The "Auto (VST, ugly)" UI size is replaced with "VST Scaling (ugly)" option. This can be used with any size setting, not just "auto".
- While the Automation button is engaged an 'A' appears on all controls which can be automated, so you can see what can be automated. (Pro edition)
- Edit menu now features several options for opening Multi MIDI Editor: you can show all MIDI tracks of a certain color, all MIDI tracks which have their editor open or all MIDI tracks.
- Edit menu has similar options for the Multitrack Editor. (Pro edition)
- Time Signature editor: Time Signature picker now allows for quickly picking any of the song's time signatures without having to type it.
- Noisegate effect: the Reduction knob now has immediate effect on sound, even if the gate was closed already.
- Touchscreen (Windows): the 'Vertical' knob mode now responds to vertical movements exclusively.
- Multiband Compressor compression algorithm didn't work quite right. (Pro edition)
- VST and AU automation sometimes wasn't stored in song file. (Pro edition)
Release 8.1.3 (Oct 30, 2015):
- Includes over 160 effect presets by Christian C. Thompson.
- Onscreen keyboard: the volume slider can now be assigned to any controller (including pitch bend and note velocity).
- Touchscreen (Windows): rotary knobs can now optionally be controlled using vertical movements. See the 'Allow vertical' box in the Preferences pane.
- Windows: added 250% and 300% values to UI Size box in Preferences window. These options are intended for the Microsoft Surface Pro 4.
- Mac: CPU Usage indicator now shows total CPU usage rather than just MultitrackStudio.
- Touchscreen (Windows): the onscreen keyboard Drum layout pads sound a bit louder in the top-right corner, allowing for more expression. The Bass, Snare and Side pads sound a bit louder in the top-left corner because they are typically played using the left hand.
- Some minor graphics/layout improvements.
- Mac: some VST plugins were only partially visible.
- Song time signature/key signature info could change under some circumstances when importing a MIDI file.
Release 8.1.2 (Sep 24, 2015):
- Touchscreen (Windows): pianoroll, drum and score editors now optionally feature handles for manipulating selected notes. The handles appear at the bottom and right hand side of the editor. There's a "Handles for MIDI notes" option in the Preferences pane.
- AU, VST and External MIDI instruments no longer solely rely on 'all notes off' MIDI messages to mute pending notes.
- Exception errors while saving song are handled better to avoid data loss.
- Most text was missing from the user interface under OS X 10.11 (El Capitan).
- Multi Column Rack: VST/AU automation windows could appear outside of the screen (Pro edition).
- Various bug fixes.
Release 8.1.1 (Jul 15, 2015):
- Pianoroll: notes that are too high/low to appear in the pianoroll appear dimmed above/below the pianoroll while scrolling vertically.
- Touchscreen (Windows): selected pianoroll notes which are long enough get resize grip to move start of note (in addition to the one at the end of the note).
- Now detects if the default audio output device changes (on Mac the default audio input device is monitored as well).
- External MIDI Instruments and VST/AU plugins Instruments: no pitch bend range messages are sent if the pitch bend range is set to zero. Can be useful if the instrument uses controllers 100/101 for something other than RPNs.
- Score editor: notes shorter than current grid can be added/moved accurately without having to change the grid first.
Various bug fixes.
Release 8.1 (Jun 15, 2015): (read more)
- Support for Microsoft Surface Pro 3: new 'Pen with touch scrolling' mode. This mode works with pen exclusively, so you can't tap something accidentally with the hand palm. You can still scroll editors and lists with touch. A button is available for switching between pen and touch mode quickly.
- Windows: Added '200 %' and '240 %' values to Size box in Preferences window, so the UI can be scaled large enough on high-DPI screens like the Surface Pro's. Also added 'Auto (VST, ugly)' option which makes the program not dpi-aware so Windows scales the UI (including VST plugins) in a blurry way.
- Touchscreen (Windows): semi-transparent 'Rewind' / 'To last start' hints appear on touching the transport counter box.
- Touchscreen (Windows): Time stretching in track editors.
- Touchscreen (Windows): Onscreen MIDI keyboard can be zoomed horizontally using two fingers on the bar at the top.
- Touchscreen (Windows): pianoroll, score and audio editors can be zoomed vertically using two fingers on the editor itself (requires Windows 8 or newer).
- Touchscreen (Windows): pianoroll: selected notes which are long enough get resize grip to move start of note (in addition to the one at the end of the note).
- Touchscreen (Windows): "Sticky add/draw modes (touch)" option in Preferences window.
- Improved transport cycling: overview bar remembers cycle region after transport stopped, transport menu features 'Set Cycle Start' and 'Set Cycle End' options which can also be invoked with the F7/F8 keys. Cycling can be started by clicking the start button while pressing the C key, or by pressing C+Space. With touchscreen (Windows) or pen you can press-and-hold the start button.
- "Section Practice Mode" and "Set Cycle Start" Remote Control actions.
- Punch-in recording: transport now automatically starts at least one bar before punch-in point (2 seconds if editor timescale isn't set to bars).
- Matrix Sampler now displays the note to which the current cell responds.
- Redesigned Tuner effect.
- Tempo editor shows mixed version of tracks in background.
- MultitrackStudio Instruments: use up/down arrow keys to step through instruments. With touchscreen (Windows) you can swipe up or down over the instrument box. Also works with the SoundFont Player presets (OS X).
- MP3 importing: file sample rate will now be converted if it doesn't match the song's.
- MIDI editors: tweaked graphics to make it easier to see which mode the editor is in.
- Issue with sending volume controllers (#7) to External MIDI Instruments.
- Mac: SoundFont Player ignored note-offs with certain soundfonts. You'll have to re-import these soundfonts.
- Mac: SoundFont Player ignored pitch bend range setting.
- Matrix Sampler's Volume knob settings weren't stored and recalled correctly.
- Pitch bend range messages are no longer being sent to Garritan 'CFX Concert Grand' VSTi (it conflicts with the plugin's stretch tuning controller #100).
- Touchscreen (Windows): playing legato on the Chords onscreen keyboard was difficult.
Various other improvements and fixes.
Release 8 (Mar 5, 2015): (read more)
- Names changed: 'Pro Plus' edition is now called 'Pro', 'Professional' edition is now called 'Standard'.
- Standard edition now contains the Guitar Amp effect and it can open existing 24/32 bits audio files. It comes without the Multitrack Editor.
- Multiband Compressor effect (Pro edition only).
- MultitrackStudio Instruments: virtually all instruments sound better. Acoustic pianos respond to Soft pedal (controller #67). Bowed strings and many winds respond the Legato controller (#68). Synths have Filter and Resonance knobs (and no longer use EQ effects for filtering). Drums have Bass/Snare/Toms/Hihat/Ride/Crash level knobs.
- MIDI editors: added 'swing' options to quantize resolution box.
- Note velocity editor now has 'draw' mode.
- Importing MIDI files: files can optionally be adjusted to song tempo.
- Mixer sections can be moved vertically using trackpad/mousewheel 'anywhere' (no need to use the scroll bar).
- Tracks can be switched to Practice Mode by doubleclicking the track's Play button. Tracks can now be in Practice Mode regardless of instrument or effect windows being visible. Having multiple tracks in practice mode simultaneously is now possible.
- Soft-monitored audio tracks: level meter shows speaker symbol to indicate output clipping (the meter itself shows the input level).
- Importing audio/MIDI files: files are now copied to song folder. A track's 'Open' option still opens file without copying.
- 'Import Audio/MIDI file' dialog now remembers folder.
- New songs automatically have a Reverb effect in the first Effect Return section.
- Presets can be imported/exported (see Preferences window).
- Mac: 'Mix down to audio file' can now create .m4a file.
- Tempo editor: BPM lower limit lowered to 8 BPM, so there's more room for fermata.
- External MIDI Instruments: controllers are now being sent right from the start (it used to wait until a note was played).
- Mac: copying effect slot from track to Edit Control window wasn't possible.
- Windows: fixed possible crash after disconnecting audio device (using 'Windows' audio driver type).
- Stereo Imager wouldn't convert stereo input to pure mono (Width=0 didn't work).
Release 7.82, Mac only (Oct 18, 2014):
The Mac version has been updated to get rid of the "MultitrackStudio can't be opened because it is from an unidentified developer." message which OS X Yosemite presented when trying to run MultitrackStudio for the first time.
Release 7.81 (Oct 14, 2014):
- Mac: Updated graphics to match OS X Yosemite.
- Mac: Some SoundFont Player issues are fixed.
- Windows: Improved LAME MP3 encoder compatibility.
- Windows: Fixed issue with playback /recording level controls using Windows audio driver type.
- Sampler: Improved sf2 file compatibility.
- Audio track input selector: level meters work smoother with some audio devices.
Release 7.8 (Sep 15, 2014): (read more)
- Matrix Sampler.
- New 'Matrix' and 'Chords' onscreen keyboards.
- Overview bar shows editor data while scrolling an editor. Works for all editors except the Song Editor and Multitrack Editor. Works with Mac trackpad (OS X 10.7 or newer) and touchscreens (Windows)
- Audio input level fader appears at top of the main window when it's needed (if the audio device supports level control). The Audio Input Control window has been removed along with the 'Automatically assign channels to tracks' option.
- MIDI tracks using External MIDI Instruments now support automation of volume fader/pan knob (works for playback only). (Pro Plus edition).
- Enable Mixer button is removed from Song Properties window. Any existing songs using this will be converted automatically.
- Track audio input selector shows level meters even if Rec button isn't engaged. These meters don't appear in the Lite edition.
- Audio track can now be in practice mode even while other tracks are recording audio.
- Audio devices can have up to 140 channels now (was 96).
- Mac: editors scroll smoother with trackpad.
- Mac: improved .aif file compatibility.
- Improved LAME MP3 encoder compatibility.
- Pseudo Stereo effect is renamed to Stereo Imager, and now processes stereo input signals as well.
- Compressor, Dynamics, Phaser and Saturator effects no longer use a lot of CPU power while automated knobs are moving (Pro Plus edition).
- Convolutor effect: Volume knob can now be automated (Pro Plus edition).
- Echo effect: Mix knob now controls input of echo loop rather than output. This makes things like adding echoes to certain words only easier (using Automation).
- "Expand to Chord" menu plays the chord before clicking it.
- Onscreen keyboard's Keyboard layout has another octave of keyboard shortcuts.
- Audio editors could flicker while scrolling backwards.
- Exception error on trying to export empty song as .zip file.
- Windows: grid bar (above editors) didn't show cycle region if no markers were present.
Release 7.71 (Jun 30, 2014):
- Recording the master output to an audio track and the 'Mix down to audio file' feature didn't work if there were only MIDI tracks and no audio tracks.
Release 7.7 (Jun 23, 2014):
- Track editors ('part mode'), Multi MIDI Editor and Multitrack Editor: data moves visually while dragging/stretching/warping selected part.
- Drum editor: instruments can be re-ordered by dragging the names up or down.
- Drum editor no longer prematurely removes empty instruments.
- Dragging from audio to drum editor now always converts to beats rather than pitched notes.
- Pianoroll/score/drum editors: lassoed notes are now audible.
- Pianoroll/score: flattened/sharpened note is audible on clicking note using flatten/sharpen modifier key.
- Score Settings window no longer prematurely removes redundant key signature lines (from 'Edit changes' table).
- Audio editor Edit Control: Semitones and Cents boxes merged into a single box.
- Renamed 'Control Surface' to 'Remote Control'.
- Remote Control MIDI devices selection and Remote Control Bar visibility button moved to Remote Control window.
- Remote Control: effect knobs can be mapped from Remote Control Bar or via new 'Effect Control Map' action.
- Remote Control: mixer section or effect control can be unmapped by dragging it from Remote Control Bar to Garbage Bin.
- 'Stop playback at end of song' option in Preferences window.
- F8 key = Recycle (cycle last cycled part again).
- Click track: bar accents are more pronounced.
- MultitrackStudio Instruments and External MIDI Instrument windows: rightclick a control to make the corresponding controller editor visible.
- 'Export MIDI Tracks' can merge tracks using same MIDI channel, so file plays back corrrectly.
- (Windows) Touchscreen mode: editor 'Select All' button is now 'Sel', offers Select All/Select Right/Unselect Right/Play Cycling options.
- (Mac) Can install libmp3lame.dylib MP3 encoder by dropping it on main window.
- 'Record Master' is removed from recording options menu. An audio track's input selector now features a 'Master Out' option instead.
- 'Playback mixed down file' no longer switches off 'Enable Mixer' (in Song Properties window). The 'Enable Mixer' option will likely be removed in future releases.
- Audio Input Control window: 'Automatically assign channels to tracks' is now off by default. This option will likely be removed in future releases.
- DX/DXi plugin support is disabled by default but still available (32 bit Windows versions only).
- Various bug fixes.
Release 7.61 (Mar 24, 2014):
- Import/export zipped songs.
- Performance improvements in Guitar Amp (Pro Plus edition), Master Limiter, and EQ effects.
- MIDI input/output devices: tighter timing.
- Some touchscreen support improvements.
A couple of bugs have been fixed.
Release 7.6 (Feb 10, 2014): (read more)
- Show all effects in a mixer section simultaneously (keep 'M' key down while clicking slot).
- Mac: SoundFont Player (requires OS X 10.7 or newer).
- "Mix Down to Audio File" window: Channels box defaults to Mono if Master section's Mono button is engaged.
- MIDI controller / automation editor selector list items have subtle green dot if the editor contains any dots.
- Renamed Windows audio driver terms: Driverset, AsioSnd, VistaSound and WinSound are now 'Audio driver type', 'ASIO', 'Windows' and 'Windows XP'.
- Windows: MIDI / Control Surface devices settings no longer change if you change audio driver type.
- Mac: Select Devices window detects USB audio/MIDI devices which are plugged in/out.
- MultitrackStudio Instruments: some sound improvements.
- Song editor: gridsnap now also works while there are no MIDI tracks.
- Some user interface improvements.
- Mac: MTC sync code wasn't sent correctly.
- Various bug fixes.
Release 7.5 (Oct 28, 2013): (read more)
- "MultitrackStudio Remote" iPad app.
- Mixer sections can optionally have 6 effect slots instead of 3.
- Half solo: doubleclick a solo button to dim other tracks.
- VST/AU output mixer has level meters.
- VST/AU output mixer supports multiple solo and half solo.
- Sampler supports Modulation controller (#1).
- VSTi plugins: drum editor can use text file with instrument names.
- VST/AU effect midi out data can be recorded to MIDI track.
- Level meter of recording audio track shows peak level since transport start (dimmed segment).
- Mac version takes advantage of Retina displays.
- Practice Mode now works with speed-only VariSpeed mode (Pro Plus edition).
- Support for Mackie Control and HUI control surface level meters and transport counter.
- Compatible with OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) and Windows 8.1.
- Improved pen (stylus) support: easier scrolling and optional onscreen keyboards.
- 'Open same color MIDI tracks in Multi MIDI Editor' no longer opens track editors.
- Multi Midi Editor: redesigned track buttons, leaves a bit more space for editor.
- Multi Midi Editor remembers whether user wants it to cover the overview bar.
- Overview Bar now always shows all markers, even if it's passed the end of the song.
- Patchmap files can be unicode, so they can contain Asian characters etc.
- (Mac) Improved VST/AU compatibility.
- (Windows) Improved MIDI recording timing accuracy.
- MP3 'very high quality' could actually be 'high quality'.
- Various bug fixes.
- Mac: several more bug fixes.
Release 7.4 (Apr 29, 2013): (read more)
- Improved touchscreen support (Windows).
- 'To Song (Hi)' control surface action to make 'To Song' work with more than 128 songs.
- Automation Editor (Pro Plus) and Automated Fader windows can be resized vertically.
- Score editor has 'Split in equal parts' option, just like pianoroll.
- 'Size' setting in Preferences window to scale user interface independently from Windows DPI setting (Windows).
- Better DPI scaling for DPI value just above 96 (Windows).
- Tempo editor: tempo line is now updated while moving it vertically.
- Editor Edit/Delete and Undo/Redo buttons have been swapped.
- Score editor: '1'..'6' and dot buttons are replaced with a single dropdown list next to the '+' button.
- Score/pianoroll editor: 'Merge Notes', 'Expand to Chord' and 'Split in equal parts' now appear in 'More...' button list.
- Drag-and-drop: an image is visible while dragging an effect slot or mixer section etc.
- Pianoroll editor allowed for making note duration zero. This could cause problems, especially with cycling playback.
Release 7.31 (Mar 19, 2013):
- Gapless cycling: VSTi plugins which use transport information (Jamstix etc.) wouldn't cycle.
- Unmuting a stereo track which contains an Echo effect could cause crash.
- Audio track editing: crash when editing a new file, clicking undo, starting transport and then clicking redo.
- Songs having exactly one group section wouldn't open correctly (Lite and Professional edition).
- Score editor: issue with adding notes using the '1'..'5' mouse modifier keys.
Release 7.3 (Feb 27, 2013): (read more)
- Audio and MIDI tracks can now be edited while they're playing back.
- Web Browser control surfaces (use phone or tablet as simple remote control via WIFI).
- Tracks can be routed to audio device channels directly, just like Groups and Effect Returns (Pro Plus edition).
- Pianoroll editor can now change duration of multiple notes simultaneously.
- Patchmap files can now specify 'initialization sysex'.
- Control surfaces: new ToSection and ToMarker actions.
- VistaSound (Windows) and CoreSound (Mac) driversets: Audio Input/Output Control windows now have level fader if the audio device supports this.
- Audio Input Control windows and track input channel selectors have per-channel level meters if at least one audio track rec button is engaged.
- Windows 8 tablet support: several improvements. Most notably score editors can zoom vertically, and track editors open 'full size' when running on a small screen.
- Chords editor improvements: automatic capitalization, can type '\' instead of '|', unrecognized chords underlined in red, now supports '|C F|' instead of '|C - C - F - F|'.
- Chord track (generated from chords) improvements: user programmable patterns, several styles, tracks update automatically if chords change.
- Chords/Lyrics editors: type Tab/Shift+Tab to go to next/previous bar.
- MultitrackStudio Instruments: acoustic pianos sound better, and sustain pedal sympathetic resonance is more realistic.
- (Mac) Custom patchmap files can now be placed in the user's Library/Application Support/MultitrackStudio/PatchMaps folder.
- Edited audio track files can be saved to file with original file name (for example: Piano.aem can be saved as Piano.wav).
- MIDI instrument selectors now show actual device names for external instruments rather than just 'External MIDI Instrument 1'.
- (Mac) Editors can zoom (using trackpad) while transport is running.
- (Windows) AsioSnd driverset: audio input channel assignments can be changed while recording.
- Audio Input/Output Control windows (except for AsioSnd Audio Output Control): changes are effected immediately (no need to click OK).
- Added keyboard shortcuts for transport cycling: Ctrl+F7 (Windows)/Command-F7 (Mac) sets cycle end marker, F7 starts cycling to cycle end marker.
- MP3 tag editor is now embedded in track file properties window.
- Pianoroll/Score/Drum editors can copy/past single notes.
- Song Editor didn't properly update display if there where no MIDI tracks.
- Fader and Pan tooltips could show wrong value after undoing automation (Pro Plus edition).
- Some VSTi plugins (Machine II) wouldn't work 'bridged'.
- There were ways to import an audio file without seeing sample rate conversion options dialog.
Various other improvements and fixes.
Release 7.21 (Oct 16, 2012):
- Transport cycling: stereo audio files could cause program crash.
- Cycle recording: after a couple of cycles the Overview Bar no longer showed part after cycle region.
- Drum editor: Redo could cause exception error in certain situations.
- Song Properties-->Clean Up: deleting a .aem file could in rare cases cause crash when editing this track again.
- Control Surface: track Play/Rec buttons could be toggled when this shouldn't be possible.
- (Windows) Improved touchscreen support, now works with 10-inch Windows 8 tablets.
- There can now be multiple columns of mixer sections, so all the space of a large monitor can be used.
- Transport cycling now works without audible gap.
- Automation editors (Pro Plus edition), Automated Fader effect and Vocal Tuner key editor can now be used while the transport is running.
- Vocal Tuner now also updates pitch curves while transport isn't running, so you can see the result of tweaking settings immediately.
- Lyrics prompter (can show chords as well).
- Score editor supports transposing instruments (Bb clarinets etc.).
- "Ultra Dark" color theme. On Windows the Light theme is replaced with a new High Contrast theme.
- "To Song" control surface action, intended for playing backing tracks during live shows.
- "Start Playback" and "Start Recording" control surface actions.
- "Full Screen" button in bottom right corner (not on Mac OS X 10.7 or newer).
- Improved VST/AU plugin compatibility (Melodyne).
- Various user interface improvements (redesigned transport counter and group selectors etc.).
- BPM tappers are now embedded in windows like Add Click Track, so you don't have to click the Tap button first.
- A Control Surface can now have up to 64 channels (was 8).
- (Windows) full screen mode now fills all monitors which where covered by the main window.
- Narrow vertical strips next to the mixer sections are removed, this makes the vertical scrollbar easier to use.
- The Clip Shelf can now be made visible using the Studio menu.
- Transport position indicator and overview bar now show bars automatically if there are any MIDI tracks. Can be switched off in Preferences window.
- Editor and transport units (bars or seconds) are now stored in song files.
- Removed "Large Meters" setting from Preferences window. Meters now become large automatically if there's room for them.
- EQ effect: 1/3 octave and critical bands spectra now show vertical bars rather than lines.
- Phaser effect uses significantly less CPU power if there's no audio signal present.
- (Windows) Editor needles move smoother when playing back with AsioSnd driverset.
- (Windows) VST plugin causing exception error will automatically run bridged next time.
- (Mac) VST plugins can have Cocoa GUI (supports "hasCockosViewAsConfig").
- MultitrackStudio Instruments: Vibrato was broken in 32 bit Windows and OS X versions.
Various other improvements and fixes.
Release 7.14 (Jun 25, 2012):
Note: only available for the 64 bit Windows Pro Plus edition and all Mac editions.
- (Mac) Graphics issue when resizing main window while scroll bars are visible.
- (Mac) Fixed some memory leaks.
- (Windows 64 bit) Issue with 24 bit .gjm/.gjs files. (Pro Plus edition)
- Resource leak which could cause crash after running MultitrackStudio for a long time.
- Some minor issues.
- "Mixdown to audio file" always wrote song's sample rate value to audio file even if you mixed down to a different sample rate (broken since 7.1).
- (Mac) Audio device couldn't be used if its name ended with a space character.
- (Mac) Improved AU compatibility.
- (Windows) WinSound driverset "EMU10K1 44.1 kHz Sync Correction" option caused error.
- EQ: displaying "Output" or "Master Out" spectrum used a lot of CPU power.
- Importing .gig sampler patches: loop info sometimes missing.
- Audio track scrubbing could cause error if you pressed Delete while scrubbing.
- Some minor issues.
- Vocal Tuner effect.
- Transposer effect.
- Automatic effect delay compensation.
- VariSpeed can now be adjusted while transport is running (but not while recording). (Pro Plus edition)
- New "Speed Only" VariSpeed mode changes speed 50..150% without changing pitch. Doesn't work while recording. (Pro Plus edition)
- Effects in Group/Effect Return/Master sections can use tracks and group busses as sidechain source. (Pro Plus edition)
- Track sidechains can now be stereo. (Pro Plus edition)
- VSTi/AUi with multiple outputs: Up to 30 outputs can now be sidechain source (was 15). (Pro Plus edition)
- Can drag effects from mixer sections to track editor's Audio Edit Control.
- Grid bars (above editors): double clicking thumb starts transport, clicking anywhere on grid bar stops it.
- Overview Bar: double clicking thumb starts transport, clicking thumb again stops it.
- Redesigned "Mix down to audio file" window, it can now optionally remember the destination folder.
- "Record Master" is no longer limited to two audio channels (Pro Plus edition).
- "To Next Song" control surface action added.
- Faders and rotary knobs let you type value after Ctrl+click (Windows) / Cmd-click (Mac).
- Clean Up tool (Song Properties window) now lists unused alternate/partial takes as well.
- Effect/Instrument selectors show format (VST/AU/DX) if the effect is available in multiple formats.
- EQ spectrum display updates faster. Averaged "Output" or "Master Out" spectrum reflects changes immediately after turning knobs.
- (Mac) Some AU instruments, like step sequencers, couldn't sync their transport to MultitrackStudio transport.
- (Mac) EQ spectrum display graphics issue.
- A couple of other fixes.
- Changing fade type in multitrack editor caused error.
- Some exception errors caused more problems than necessary.
- Some VST plugins would crash if song recorded in Mac version was opened in Windows version or vice versa.
- Error if Outputs setting in Song Properties window exceeded 48 (Pro Plus edition).
- "Show tooltips" setting was always on again after restarting the program.
- Wizard is more robust.
- (Windows) Fixed 'Cannot focus a disabled or invisible window' error.
- (Windows) The settings file sometimes couldn't be written to.
- (Windows) VistaSound driverset better handles unplugging USB audio devices.
- (Windows 64 bit) Error if Compressor's Ratio and Knee knobs were turned up all the way (vintage programs).
- (Mac) Outputs of AU Instrument having multiple outputs couldn't be used as sidechain sources (Pro Plus edition).
- (Mac) Error occured if audio recording and playback devices didn't have any supported sample rates in common.
- (Mac) Control Surface Settings window "Info" button didn't work with most presets.
- (Mac) Numerical keypad Enter key didn't work.
- (Mac) Some cosmetic issues.
- A couple of other fixes.
- Mac OS X version.
- New Standard color theme.
- Better DPI scaling.
- All versions now support .aif files (was Pro Plus only)
- Onscreen MIDI keyboard now works while MIDI Keyboard Splitter window is visible.
- Mousewheel on small strips on left/right side now scrolls mixer sections vertically.
- "Bridged" VST plugins received incorrect tempo information.
- Master Limiter's RMS meter didn't work at 192 kHz sample rate.
- A couple of other fixes.
- 64 bit version.
- Both 32 and 64 bit versions support 32 and 64 bit VST plugins.
- RMS level meter added to Master Limiter.
- Dirac Pro pitch shifting/time stretching is now twice as fast.
- Pianoroll: more vertical zoom levels.
- The "Insert" button is now called "Ripple".
- Easier error reporting: "Send Now" sends the report over the internet without requiring an email program like Outlook.
- "Export tracks as audio files" crashed if MIDI track selected.
- VST plugins didn't respond to multi-touch screens.
- A couple of other fixes.
Release 6.41 (Jun 7, 2011):
- "Add Click Track" produced MIDI file with wrong tempo information.
- Creating track from chords produced MIDI file with wrong tempo information.
- Score editor: double dotted notes could lead to rests being optimized out too agressively.
Release 6.4 (May 23, 2011): (read more)
- MIDI Note Velocity editor.
- Track audio/MIDI data appears in automation editors (Pro Plus edition), Automated Fader effect and Song Editor.
- "Export tracks as audio files" tool.
- VST window: F5 key reloads plugin, settings are preserved.
- VST folder customization using MtStudioLinks.txt files (include/exclude folders or plugins).
- Scrubbing in automation editors (Pro Plus edition), Automated Fader effect and MIDI controller editors.
- ACIDized wav files dropped on audio editor now match song tempo.
- Onscreen Keyboard: string instruments can be capoed.
- Input button can optionally open audio device control panel (if available).
- Last transport start position appears on Overview Bar as "dynamic marker".
- Last recording start/stop positions are available from Transport Options menu.
- MIDI editors: Piano/Score/Drum tabs instead of the small P/N/D buttons. "Wave" editor is removed but can be enabled again in Preferences window.
- Automation editors (Pro Plus edition) and MIDI controller editors appear tabbed.
- A couple of editor buttons (Repeat, Export etc.) have been merged into a new "More" button. The Preferences window can make them all visible again.
- Audio files dropped on audio editor are now converted to song sample rate.
- Transport start and stop buttons are merged into a single button.
- Onscreen keyboard and BPM tapper: improved timing accuracy.
- Stereo Merger and Sample Rate Converter can now be cancelled.
- Touchscreen support: various improvements in order to enhance usability.
- .aiff files can be opened without renaming to *.aif (Pro Plus edition).
- Convolutor detects file sample rate on loading IR file.
- Click track and chord tracks are updated when time signature changes.
- Click Track uses MIDI channel 10 by default again.
- Clicking Master's Mono button makes song "modified" and therefor saveable.
Various other improvements and fixes.
Release 6.32 (Jan 24, 2011):
- Some VST plugin windows were too small in version 6.31 (Albino 3 for example).
- The Pitch Bend Range setting, introduced in version 6.3, now has no effect on Waldorf VST plugins because Largo uses the MIDI RPN controllers for other purposes.
- VST windows better support plugins that change size.
- VST GUIs get scrollbars if they're too big for the window/screen so they're still useable.
- VST windows: SideChain boxes are now on the right rather than on the left. Looks better and saves space. (Pro Plus edition).
- Lite edition: Added fade in/out to MultitrackStudio Instruments "demo" noise bursts. Hopefully this stops people thinking it's a bug.
- Sampler: keys had wrong pitch if pitch bend range not equal to 2 semitones.
- MultitrackStudio Instruments: loading preset that includes track effects could cause error.
- Multi MIDI editor: drum instrument selector could cause error.
- Cosmetic issue in Contact window method selector.
- VST output mixer wouldn't close with escape key.
- MultitrackStudio Instruments: built-in General MIDI sounds.
- MIDI pitch bend range can be adjusted.
- Undoing "tweakable edits" now undoes the last tweak only, rather than all tweaks.
- Some effects use significantly less CPU power if there's no audio signal present.
- Could not create medium-quality mp3 files using Lame_enc.dll.
- Score editor: 8va setting wasn't read from song file.
- mp3 files starting with corrupted frames now open.
- A couple of other bugs.
- MP3 encoding: a "lame_enc.dll" file in the "Program Files\MtStudio" folder can now be used for MP3 encoding. This feature was added because ACM codecs may not work properly in 64 bit Windows.
- Some small fonts looked bad with Windows DPI settings between 96 and 112.
- Song files (.hdr) had issues with some Asian Windows versions.
- Audio/MIDI devices settings couldn't be saved on a (very) small number of computers.
- Chord and Lyrics windows: the Keybrd button was present even if not in touchscreen mode.
- Clicking overlapping markers has been improved.
Release 6.2 (Apr 20, 2010): (read more)
- Mid/Side Effect (Pro Plus edition only).
- Vocal Removal effect preset.
- MIDI "Key Aftertouch" support.
- "Bass" MIDI instrument, which offers fingered and picked bass guitar sounds.
- The Guitar Amp effect sounds much better and is significantly more CPU-efficient.
- The Saturator effect has been redesigned.
- The Electric Piano instrument sounds better and features a new "Sticky Hammers" instrument.
- Better soundfont compatibility.
- "File Save" dialogs now use the file type you think it does.
- VST output mixer gets scrollbar if the channels don't fit the screen.
A couple of bugs have been fixed.
Release 6.1 (Mar 9, 2010): (read more)
- Vocal Pitch Correction (in audio track editors).
- Track editors can stretch or 'warp' parts. Both audio and MIDI.
- Audio pitch shifting (in audio track editors).
- Tempo editor can optionally change tempo of audio tracks.
- Audio/MIDI editors can reverse selected part.
- VSTi plugins can run 'bridged' (out-of-process). This can be used to utilise more than 2 GB of RAM on 64 bit systems.
Audio pitch shifting, time stretching and Vocal Pitch Correction are powered by DSP Dimension's Dirac Pro technology.
- .aem files: you can now browse for any missing edit files.
- Audio scrubbing tries to keep original pitch.
- MIDI: improved handling of overlapped unison notes (in MIDI files and while playing back)
- Pianoroll: "Join Previous Notes" is now "Merge Notes", and can merge more than two notes.
A couple of bugs have been fixed.
The lower editions now have some features which used to be Pro Plus only. Most notably, scrubbing is now in all versions, and the Professional edition now comes with the Wheel Organ and Electric Piano.
- Sidechaining VSTi outputs to tracks sometimes didn't work (Pro Plus edition).
- Multitouch screens: scrolling the main window vertically could change the track order.
- .lst files (made with version 4 or older) could be deleted when undoing the first edit.
- Dragging a MultitrackStudio effect over a Jamstix VSTi window would lead to errors.
Release 6.0 (Oct 22, 2009): (read more)
- Touchscreen support. Multi-touch on Windows 7, single-touch on older Windows versions.
- Onscreen MIDI keyboard, works with (multi)touch or computer keyboard.
- Manual audio input channel assignment (optional)
- VistaSound driverset can optionally work in "pull mode". This works better when CPU usage is high. Not all drivers will support this correctly.
- Half-speed recording: VariSpeed now can not only be set to -200..+200 cents, but to -1400..-1000 cents as well. (Pro Plus edition only)
- Notation Settings window has 8va/Normal/8va bassa switch.
- All text fields support Unicode, so all international characters can be used in track names etc. Song files are still compatible with older versions.
- Automation editors can now add 4 dots in one go, to quickly attenuate or amplify a part. Similarly, MIDI controller editors can add 2 dots.
- Automation / MIDI controller editors show value of dot under mouse pointer.
- Automation / MIDI controller editors: you can now type a new value of the selected dot.
- Automation / MIDI controller editors: dots can be 'amplified', changing the vertical distance between the dots.
- Automation editors now show the actual parameter values rather than 0..100. VST plugins need to supply their own GUI and implement part of the Cockos VST Extensions for this to work. (Pro Plus edition only)
- Editors support Ctrl key + mouse wheel to zoom in/out. The left hand part of pianoroll and audio editors zooms vertically.
- Tooltips appear while dragging mixer sections to make it more clear where the section will go.
- Resizing track editors: screen is updated on-the-fly now
- Resizable windows have a dotted triangle in the bottom-right corner.
- Guitar Amp effect is more CPU efficient when used "live", to make it more usable on slower machines. Less oversampling is used. (Pro Plus edition only)
- Track faders and controller/automation editors are larger at high DPI settings (these were the only things not scaling yet).
- Audio devices can have up to 96 channels now (was 64).
- Add Audio Track window: "Number of tracks" box appears if audio in device has at least 4 channels (was 8). (Pro Plus edition only)
- Other improvements and somes fixes.
Release 5.21 (May 25, 2009):
- Setting "Send sync code" in the "MIDI Out Device Option" window to "MIDI Clock" caused exception errors when starting the transport or closing MultitrackStudio.
- Drum editor: couldn't select note by clicking if not scrolled up all the way.
Release 5.2 (May 18, 2009): (read more)
- Major improvements in notation editor (better horizontal note spacing, multiple buttons to add now notes, keysignature changes, more tuplets etc.).
- MIDI event editors now have 3 modes: Select Part, Select Notes and Add Notes.
- MIDI controller and automation editors now have 3 modes: Select, Add and Draw.
- Multi MIDI Editor now features notation and drum editors.
- Practice mode to use software instrument, guitar amps etc. without recording them.
- Pianoroll/notation editors: lasso shows name of lassoed chord, if any.
- Dragging audio/MIDI between tracks now snaps to the original position if you're close.
- "Export MIDI Tracks" can optionally include lyrics and/or markers in the MIDI file.
- Number of first bar can be -9..1, allowing for various numbers of count-in bars.
- Audio and Pianoroll editors can zoom vertically.
- Editors: mouse pointer behaves more in line with Windows standards (when dragging etc.).
- Editors can do standard Windows style "click at start, Shift-click at end" selecting.
- Effects can be bypassed quickly by clicking the slot while keeping the B key down.
- Tuner effect redesigned for better visibility from a distance. New per-note offsets let you create custom tunings.
- Tested on Windows 7 (both 32 and 64 bits).
- Add Click Track: "Accent on Beat One" is now "Bar Accents", and does a bit more to make the click track sound more pleasing.
- Time signatures can be typed instead of using the up/down buttons.
- "Extract temp from track": beats can represent 3/8, 7/8 etc. (not just 1/8, 1/4 etc.).
- Drum editor: notes appear like diamond shapes.
- Drum editor: "select similar notes" can now work on selected notes only.
- Multi MIDI Editor (pianoroll): notes of active track appear in front, this makes editing overlapping notes easier.
- Multi MIDI Editor: up/down arrows scroll the editor vertically.
- "Delay before recording" window remembers time value.
- "BPM Tapper" now works with mouse.
- Clicking an empty effect slot pops up selector (even if you didn't click the down arrow).
- Various other minor improvements.
- MIDI editor scrubber works better when zoomed out by a large amount (Pro Plus edition only).
- "Revert to Version" is more robust.
- A couple of other fixes.
Release 5.12 (Mar 26, 2009):
- Improved VST compatibility (EMU Proteus / Emulator).
- Song Editor: pasting could lead to incorrect Chords and Lyrics.
- VistaSound driverset: fixed crash-waiting-to-happen with multichannel audio playback devices.
- Patch Editor no longer creates superfluous empty backup copies.
- A couple of other fixes.
Release 5.11 (Feb 11, 2009):
- MIDI Quantize: problem with "Keep Note Off" quantization type.
- Import audio/MIDI file: optional sample rate conversion worked with .wav files only.
- Improved VST compatibility (DFH, D16 plugins).
- Multiple monitors: mousewheel didn't work on all monitors with some setups.
- Multiple monitors: position of window is now correctly remembered, even if it's maximized.
- A couple of other fixes.
Release 5.1 (Oct 31, 2008): (read more)
- The outputs of multiple output VSTi plugins (the ones having an Output Mixer), can now be sidechain sources. You can use this to route the outputs of a drum plugin to multiple mixer tracks. (Pro Plus edition only)
- VST effects having more than 2 inputs now get a Side Chain box just like the Dynamics/Compressor/NoiseGate effects. The second input pair receives the sidechain signal.
- VST instruments having audio inputs also get a Side Chain box. You can now, for example, use vocal pitch correction plugins in an Instrument Slot and use the track's pianoroll to enter the correct notes. (Pro Plus edition only)
- Some VST plugins come with a proprietary "sidechain input" plugin. The latter can now be loaded in the effect's "Sidechain Input" box to ensure correct behaviour on multiple-CPU machines. (Pro Plus edition only)
- Effects loaded in an effect's Side Chain box can now use side chains as well. (Pro Plus edition only)
- Effects in a multiple output VSTi's output mixer can now use side chains (Pro Plus edition only).
- The Effect/Instrument Selectors hide VST plugins which can't be used as effect/instrument respectively. They learn automatically.
- DX plugins which aren't an instrument now appear in the Effect Selector only, and not in the Instrument Selector.
- "DMO" (DirectX Media Objects) effects are no longer supported because they cause too much trouble (version 5.0 dropped support on Vista already).
- New cycle transport option: "Cycle selected part of focused track".
- Drum editor: Select All button is now enabled even while individual notes are selected.
- Search boxes now have 'clear' button.
- VistaSound driverset (for WASAPI drivers) now supports multichannel recording, and compatibility has been improved significantly.
- AsioSnd driverset can optionally use MMCSS (on Vista).
- Voxengo Elephant VST plugin crashed.
- Transport failed to start under certain (rare) sidechaining conditions on multiple-CPU machines (Pro Plus edition only).
- Some older VST plugins which don't provide a GUI of themselves failed to update the knobs on loading a preset.
- Song Templates: tracks could end up in wrong folder (Pro Plus edition only).
- Level meters on effect windows could stop working while using Soft Monitoring when soundcard buffersize is low.
- A track's "Alternate Take in new track" option now disengages the track's Play button.
- A couple of other fixes.
Release 5.02 (Sep 11, 2008):
- The Wizard's track recording options crash if there are no tracks in the song.
- The Sampler makes stereo 24 bit samples sound as mono if it's not playing at the root note (Pro Plus only).
- Saving MIDI tracks as audio ("freezing software instruments") doesn't work correctly if it's a stereo audio file.
- Some help file/manual corrections.
Release 5.01 (Sep 4, 2008):
- The effect/instrument selectors would crash if the number of DX plugins on your computer exceeds the number of VST plugins.
Release 5.0 (Sep 2, 2008): (read more)
- Carefully redesigned to make it easier and faster to use.
- Color themes: 3 new ones, and 2 classic ones.
- Song Editor (insert or remove parts affecting "everything": tracks, markers, tempo / time signature, chords, lyrics, automation)
- Multiple notes can be selected simultaneously in MIDI editors using either Ctrl key or new lasso.
- Multi MIDI editor: work with multiple tracks in a single pianoroll.
- The new .aem file format allows for much faster audio editing than the .lst files did. Existing .lst files can still be read.
- MIDI controller editors appear in track instead of separate window.
- Mouse wheel can scroll editors vertically if mouse is over editor.
- Files are no longer truncated at the point where recording starts (ie. if you record over the first minute of a two minute track the second minute will still be there). You can no longer inadvertently lose audio recordings this way.
- Sound on Sound Recording: recording without erasing what's already there.
- Song templates (Pro Plus edition only)
- Multiple Solo: multiple tracks can be soloed simultaneously.
- New effect / instrument selectors.
- Main window remembers position/size and whether it's maximized or not.
- All effect and instrument windows have a "Presets" button. The presets no longer appear on the Shelf.
- Effect and instrument slots have down arrow which pops up newly designed selector. Effect and instrument no longer appear on the Shelf.
- Add Track menu replaces all mixer section related Shelf features.
- Groups and Effect Returns can be added, removed and re-ordered while the transport is running.
- Level Meters can optionally be twice as big.
- Disabled ("grayed out") items show tooltip explaining why they're disabled.
- Native Vista File Open/Save dialogs are now used on Windows Vista, instead of the old-style windows dialogs.
- VST Output Mixer improvements: Solo and Mute buttons, Volume faders and Pan knobs can be automated (Pro Plus edition), Channel numbers equal the plugin's numbers.
- "Expand related sections only": expand all mixer sections contributing to the sound of a track or group, and collapse all other sections.
- Master Limiter gain reduction is shown in effect slot itself.
- An imported audio file's sample rate can optionally be converted if it doesn't match the song's sample rate.
- Markers in imported .wav files can optionally be imported.
- Songlist bar now has Play All button: can be turned off to avoid going to the next song inadvertently.
- Songlist Properties window no longer opens all songs in order to read its properties.
- VSTi automation timing resolution is now 4 times as accurate.
- The Autodetect Keyboard feature now automatically detects you're recording two tracks using two MIDI keyboards and will let you do so without you having to turn it off.
- Audio punch-in recording related bug.
- Some DXi plugins weren't recognized.
Release 4.31 (Dec 5, 2007):
- Support for Frontier Design's AlphaTrack control surface.
- Multiple Core CPU support: all instances of some "bad" VSTi plugins are now run on a single processor to work around their flaws.
- Hardware Control Surface still works if another program is active.
- Convolutor's Mix button wouldn't mix mono input to the right stereo channel if a stereo IR was used.
- Multiple Core CPU support: effect sidechaining could lead to buffer-underrun messages if softsynth tracks where involved (Pro Plus edition).
- The "Mix down to file" option caused an error message if the Punch button was on.
- Random noise when using VSTi plugins which expect audio input.
- A couple of other fixes.
Release 4.3 (Apr 30, 2007):
- Cycle Recording: recording multiple takes automatically. Works for both normal and punch-in recording.
- Improved punch-in recording: you now can hear the existing parts before and after the punch-in region while recording. The recorded signal can be monitored all the time or in the punch-in region only. (Works for audio and softsynths, not for external MIDI synths).
- Pro Plus edition: Compressor, Dynamics and Noisegate effects in tracks can now use other tracks as sidechain trigger.
- Pro Plus edition: Guitar Amp has been overhauled for more realistic, less brittle, sounds. There are now three mic positions to choose from.
- Doubler now models tape based artificial doubletracking. Also allows for sixties style phasing/flanging.
- Some effects now use significantly less CPU power if there's no audio signal present. This includes the Guitar Amp and the Convolutor effect, which are the most cpu hungry ones by far.
- Loading a Multi Effect in a slot now loads the effect that was present in the slot in the Multi Effect.
- Dragging a Mixer Section to the Effect Presets shelf section creates a Multi Effect preset containing all the mixer section's effects.
- Unified Effects Selector: all effects appear in one list which can be text-searched. This includes the native MultitrackStudio effects,VST and DX plugins, Convolutor impulse responses and effect presets.
- New "Electric Piano" synth (Pro Plus edition only).
- Wheel Organ sounds more realistic (Pro Plus edition only).
- Create simple sampler patches easily: you can now drag a part from an audio track editor, an audio clip from the shelf, or an audio file from Windows Explorer to a Synth Slot. A sampler patch will be created from the audio part automatically.
- Sampler can import sfz files (OGG compressed audio files not supported).
- Dragging a Track to the Synth Presets shelf section creates a Synth preset with the track's effects included.
- Unified Synths Selector: all synths appear in one list which can be text-searched. This includes the native MultitrackStudio synths,VSTi and DXi plugins, sampler patches and synth presets.
- Audio and MIDI files can be dropped on track editors. This is very useful for plugins like EZdrummer.
- Audio edits can be removed from .lst file in a track's properties window.
- Mixdowns are now compensated for the delay which may be introduced by effects in the Master section (like the Master Limiter), so any track bounces are in perfect sync.
- The VistaSound driverset (for WaveRT drivers) now supports multichannel playback (not recording) in the Pro Plus edition. It's now included in the MultitrackStudio installer and it's the default driverset on Vista.
- 32 bit floating point .aif files and AIFC-type fixed point .aif files supported (Pro Plus edition only).
- Audio engine can now use up to 8 CPUs.
- 32 bit .wav files didn't properly clip overloaded signals.
- CPU usage indicator now works in Vista even if not running as administrator.
Release 4.21 (Jan 30, 2007):
- Deleting a punch-in recording immediately after recording it could cause an error later on.
- VST plugins which pop up a "demo expired" message instead of loading caused an error.
- Audio track editors didn't always automatically paint waveform.
- Fixed incorrect effect send assignment in UC33 control surface preset.
- Pressing the space bar ("start/stop") while keeping the arrow left/right key ("rewind/fast forward") down caused an error.
- An audio effect could sometimes be removed from the mixer section when creating a preset.
- Dragging an effect which is inside a Multi Effect to the slot which contains the Multi Effect caused an error.
A couple of other minor fixes.
Release 4.2 (Nov 6, 2006)
- Effect windows no longer disappear when you click the transport buttons / overview bar / mixer faders etc. There can still be only one effect visible at a time.
- Optional light background theme for editors.
- Tracks: File name boxes can have different colors for better overview. The track's editor will use this color as well.
- "Paste" now uses the needle position (which equals the transport position) instead of the start of the selected part.
- Copy/Paste buttons on controller editors, automation editors en Automated Fader effects. Data can be exchanged between these editors.
- You can now doubleclick MIDI notes and patterns to edit them (instead of using the EDIT button). Doubleclick Markers and Labels to rename them.
- Groups and Effect Returns can be re-ordered using drag-and-drop, just like Tracks. Works only if transport is stopped.
- Tempo editor: Automated Faders, automation data and markers are updated if the tempo is edited.
- Tempo and Time Signature editors have Copy, Paste, Repeat, Delete and Cut buttons.
- Markers and Lyrics from MIDI files can be imported.
- Mouse scrollwheel can scroll selector lists and vertical scrollbars.
- MIDI File Merger tool, merges all MIDI tracks in one MIDI file. This is intended for moving the MIDI tracks to a notation program.
- Shelf can stay folded out (click the "screw holes").
- Presets of mixer sections (including Tracks).
- Triplet of 8th and 16th items in shelf's Midi Notes section (to add triplets easily).
- "Select Left" and "Select Right" options on editor popup menus.
- Truncate File option on audio track editor's popup menu (truncates file destructively).
- Drum editor: toggle between single-instrument and all-instruments by clicking instrument name.
- Exception errors caused by VST plugins can do less harm.
- WinSound driverset: better audio recording/playback synchronization.
- Windows Vista (RC2) compatibility.
- MultitrackStudio can be used by "limited account" Windows users. Multiple users on a computer now have their own preferences and song folders etc.
- Better "High DPI" behaviour: almost all user interface elements enlarge if you increase the Windows DPI setting.
- Audio to MIDI conversion: note length is more accurate.
- RMID (RIFF MIDI) type MIDI files can be opened.
- BWAV (Broadcast Wav) .wav files can be opened.
- Several speed improvements (GUI painting, MP3 files appear in track editor faster etc.)
- VST windows can grow bigger than the initial size (for Albino 3 VST plugin).
- Pro Plus: Automation editor: parameters appear in a list instead of in the menu if there are more than 16 parameters. This makes plugins with many parameters easier to use.
- Pro Plus: the sidechain menu of Compressor etc. detects adding/removing Effect Returns again (was broken in 4.1).
- Patterns are saved in .mpt files again (was broken in 4.1).
Various other improvements and fixes.
Release 4.1 (May 29, 2006)
- Hardware control surface support.
- Mixer sections can be collapsed to save space.
- Level meters of recording audio tracks: righthand segment flashes if overload occurred. Rightclicking resets it.
- 24 bit losslessly compressed .gjm and .gjs audio files (Pro Plus Edition only).
- Chords and Lyrics. Can be displayed in almost any editor
- Pianoroll: While selecting a part: if the selected notes make a chord the chord's name is displayed.
- Pianoroll: added big size view
- Click Track Generator and Tempo Editor: tempo values can be entered by tapping on the space bar.
- The intensity (brightness) of the green displays and editors is adjustable.
- 'Mouse Modifiers' to edit individual notes quickly (volume, duration etc., or even 'expand to chord').
- Drum Editor: delete, drag or change volume of similar notes in similar bars simultaneously.
- Audio engine takes advantage of dual core CPU.
- Toggle Play, Rec, Mute or Edit buttons of all tracks simultaneously (use Ctrl key)
- VST/DX windows: click the 'metal' to return keyboard focus to MultitrackStudio (if plugin has taken it).
- New improved help system.
- Yellow hint balloons appear at more convenient locations.
- Selector windows (the VST plugin selector etc.) can be resized.
- Convolutor effect works faster when used 'live', or when using an Intel CPU (it was fast on AMD already).
- Notation Editor: better 'cleaning up' of non-quantized notes.
- Notation Editor: added Tenor and Alto clefs.
- MIDI file resolution doubled.
- Improved VST plugin compatibility (Jamstix).
- Various other improvements and minor fixes.
Release 4.02 (Dec 20, 2005)
- Normalizing a silent part caused an error.
- Notation editor: clicking an extremely short note (like 1/256) hangs the program.
- Some DirectX plugins weren't recognized.
- Saving MIDI tracks as audio: MIDI controllers at the start of the file were ignored sometimes.
- "Multiple stream" MIDI files: the track editor sometimes showed old data.
- Sampler used more memory than necessary.
- Pro Plus edition only: rare but nasty error that bothered some SoundBlaster Live! users (but could happen with any soundcard in theory).
- A couple of other minor fixes.
Release 4.01 (Oct 25, 2005)
- A lot of VSTi / DXi plugins had timing problems or missed notes in playback mode.
Release 4.0 (Oct 18, 2005)
- Mix down to master 'offline' rather than in real-time.
- Playback the mixed down file easily.
- Most selector windows (like VST plugin selector) now have a 'search' box.
- 'Filling' of audio editors no longer blocks the user interface: you can continue your work while audio data is being read from disk.
- Edit operations can be canceled while they are being performed.
- A new folder is created for each new song automatically (you can specify a "base' folder in the Preferences window).
- Closing a new song without saving it optionally invokes the Find Unused Files tool, so you can delete your experiments.
- Overview Bar shows playback/editor position graphically. It also displays the markers.
- An editor's position indicator can now be moved using the mouse. The editors scroll horizontally automatically if necessary.
- Editors scroll horizontally (and vertically if it's a MIDI editor) automatically in response to mouse movements when dragging or resizing.
- Stick labels to mixer sections ('Reverb' to Effect Return etc.).
- Disk space indicator shows max. audio recording time left.
- Move data between track editors using drag-and-drop.
- Level meters are now stereo (if the audio signal is stereo). Clicking a meter pops up a much larger meter in a new window.
- Audio track editors show stereo channels separately (they can't be edited individually).
- Balloon hints (can be turned off in Preferences window).
- Use mouse wheel to control knobs, faders and up/down buttons.
- Keyboard Splitter and ASIO audio input/output control support presets.
- New "Tuner" effect to tune guitars etc.
- The Multitrack Editor shows individual tracks separately.
- MIDI controller editors support "free hand drawing".
- Tempo editor can import tempo from both audio and MIDI tracks. Now you can, for example, record handclaps along with your acoustic guitar track and extract the "beats" from the handclaps track.
- Audio can be converted to MIDI and vice versa. Just drag-and-drop or copy-and-paste between audio and MIDI tracks. (Audio to MIDI conversion works for monophonic signals only, MIDI to audio requires a softsynth.)
- MIDI tracks using a softsynth can be saved as audio. This can be used to 'freeze' the soft synth in order to reduce CPU usage.
- The sampler now supports sustain and release samples. The max. number of layers has been increased to 16. Legato and Brightness controllers are supported. Better handling of very large patches.
- Pieces of audio or MIDI data ('Clips') can be stored on the Shelf.
- "live" softsynth performances that weren't actually recorded appear on the Shelf, so you can recover them.
- New "Parallel Effect".
- "Center" rotary knobs by clicking them while keeping Shift key down.
- Windows DMO effects are available as DirectX effects.
- Automation of mixer (faders and knobs), effects (knobs) and VST/DX plugins.
- New "Guitar Amp" effect, emulates three vintage guitar amps.
- Improved live multitrack recording: you can now toggle all Rec buttons at once, add multiple tracks at once, and create a new instance of the current song.
- Now includes the Wheel Organ add-on.
- Improved editor layout: the score editor's clefs now appear on the left hand side.
- Score editor recognizes triplets.
- Added normalize function to audio track editors.
- Wheel Organ's Rotor effect has been improved.
- Editor mouse operations have a more 'relaxed' feel to them.
- Fixed rare bug where the program "forgot" to play audio edits, even though they where visible in the editor.
- Better mp3 acm codec compatibility.
- Many more improvements and fixes.
Release 3.11 (Dec 2, 2004)
- Fixed bug in audio track scrubber (Pro Plus edition only)
- Improved VST plugin compatibility. Waves plugins can now be used as VST plugins.
- Trying to merge stereo files crashed Stereo Merger tool.
- Some other fixes.
Release 3.1 (May 3, 2004)
- Default-named audio/MIDI files or tracks can be created easily (from within a track or using the Recording menu).
- Tracks, Songs and Songlists can be renamed.
- MIDI file splitter (loads streams in separate tracks).
- All MIDI controllers are supported (except data entry and RPN).
- Knobs can be controlled by rotary or vertical mouse movements.
- MIDI editors: notes that are being added, selected or moved are audible.
- Manual compensation for soundcard driver with sync problems.
- Track editors: mouse operations are audible ("scrubbing"). Works on both audio and MIDI tracks.
- 176.4 and 192 kHz sample rates are supported.
- .aif files are supported.
- "Vintage Reverbs" impulse response files for Convolutor effect.
- Reverb effect: the four programs sound significantly better.
- Exciter effect: new oversampled algorithm for smoother sound.
- Master Limiter: sounds better (release time is program dependant).
- Convolutor effect: can now be used 'live', changing IR file no longer requires transport restart, added some controls.
- EQ effect: per-section bypass buttons, improved Low Mid and High Mid algorithms no longer affect treble frequencies.
- Tremolo effect: Stereo and Vintage buttons added.
- Saturation effect: improved tube and tape distortion modelling.
- Doubler, Phaser and Echo effect have been improved.
- Sampler: Pitch Wheel and Detune knob now affect playing notes.
- Sample Rate Converter tool: better sound quality.
- Moving effect knobs produces less clicking noise.
- .wav files can now be up to 4 GB.
- Drum editor: dragging a note no longer changes its duration.
- Improved .gig file import, ASIO compatibility and DirextX plugin compatibility.
- Better graphics.
- MIDI punch-in recording works again (was broken in 3.0 version).
- Pasting stereo audio in mono track now works.
- Various other fixes and improvements.
Release 3.0 (Oct 22, 2003)
- MIDI note editors now appear in Track editor instead of separate window.
- Notation editor.
- MIDI pattern editing.
- Dynamics effect (combined expander/compressor/limiter).
- Phaser effect.
- Sidechain effects on Noisegate and Compressor
- Graph on EQ.
- Tape type monitoring (play audio effects live, ASIO only).
- Multiple MIDI Out Devices (Professional: 2, Pro Plus: 4).
- In case of an error an error report will be generated that can be sent via email.
- The support email link now attaches a status report in order to improve support.
- Statistics display on limiter, compressor, dynamics and noisegate.
- Group and Effect Return sections can be routed to soundcard outputs.
- Track effect sends can be routed to sidechain inputs of Noisegate, Compressor and Dynamics effects in Group, Effect Return and Master sections to make ducking etc. possible.
- EQ features spectrum analyser.
- Built-in MIDI merger.
- Bars count from '0' (instead of '1'). Using the first bar for count-in the music will now start at bar '1'.
- Noisegate: fixed 'leak-through' when closed.
- Pseudo Stereo: comb mode works again (defect since version 2.0).
- Clicktrack Generator: can now override current tempo / time signature.
- Automated Fader: new events now added with single-click instead of double-click.
- Pianoroll and Drum Editor: easier operation.
- Better ASIO compatibility.
- Triplets added to Quantize function.
- Audio/MIDI editors: Dragging with CTRL button works as copy, dragging without CTRL works as move.
- Effects can be copied using Ctrl button
- Sampler: exclusive groups added, samples can be panned individually, so drum patches can be more realistic.
- Many more enhancements and optimizations.
Release 2.12 (Jan 15, 2003)
- MIDI Port and track editor no longer ignore MIDI controller 7/10 events at zero tick.
- Certain MIDI files ('format 0') no longer load with an unnecessary empty stream.
- Improved sf2 file compatibility.
- Trying to record more audio channels than available no longer leads to unpredictable behaviour.
Release 2.11 (Oct 14, 2002)
- MIDI files containing RPN values other than 0 or 1 could not be loaded properly.
- The Tempo Correction option caused problems with some MIDI editing actions.
Release 2.1 (Jul 31, 2002)
- Includes wizard that helps new users.
- Supports VST plugins having multiple outputs.
- Pro Plus edition: Track's Save As and Export functions now work properly regardless of the file's bitdepth.
- VSTi/DXi plugins respond to all MIDI streams in the track.
Release 2.01 (Jul 3, 2002)
Fixed Windows 2000/XP soundcard driver problems (glitches in recordings / computer reset on program start).
Release 2.0 (Jul 1, 2002)
- ASIO driver support.
- External MIDI sync (MIDI clock / MTC).
- Compensates for SoundBlaster Live! 44.1 kHz full-duplex problem.
- MIDI Port and Sampler have additional controls (DeTune, Reverb etc.).
- MIDI Port and Sampler patches can be selected using categories.
- Editors have Merge function.
- VST plugins read all fxb/fxp banks and presets (including 'chunks').
- DX plugins expose their static presets.
- Song files can exceed 64 kB.
- Wav files now have correct sample rate tag.
- All 16384 MIDI banks can be used (was 128).
- Better MIDI and SF2 file compatibility.
- Better VST and DX plugin compatibility.
- Various other improvements and fixes.
- 24/32 bit .wav file support.
- 88.2/96 kHz sample rate support.
- Multichannel recording (using ASIO driver).
- VariSpeed control.
Release 1.2 (Feb 21, 2002)
- Master Limiter
- Easy access to Windows Record Control
- DXi (softsynth plugin) support
- MP3 support (Professional edition only)
- Better help and manual.
- Band effect can now have 2 or 3 bands and allows mono to stereo conversion.
- Values can be typed instead of using up/down buttons.
- Sampler: volume/expression affect playing notes, and their curves follow the MIDI specs (existing tracks using these controllers may need some adjustments).
- VST plugins can read .fxb preset files ('chunk' files not supported)
- Various other improvements and fixes.
Release 1.1.1 (Feb 14, 2002)
Lite edition only. Appeared on Computer Music issue 44 cover-CD. Identical to release 1.1, but with samples added.
Release 1.1 (Dec 5, 2001)
- Drum Editor shows instrument names instead of notes.
- Enhanced click track generator.
- Program hangup on loading particular VST Instruments (Dynamo, Sample Tank, SR-202).
- Occasional program hangup on loading large sampler patches.
- Occasional program hangup on starting/stopping sampler (win 2000/XP).
- Tempo Editor (occasional unexpected behaviour).
- Note Display in Flanger, Doubler, Tremolo, Echo, Chorus and Vibrato effect.
- Some SF2 drum patches loaded incorrectly (instruments left out).
Initial release (Nov 9, 2001)