New in MultitrackStudio 7.8
- Matrix Sampler
- Overview bar shows editor data while scrolling editor
- Audio input level fader appears in main window
- Automation improvements
1. Matrix Sampler
The Matrix Sampler can load up to 16 audio samples. They can be played using the new Matrix onscreen keyboard for example.
Matrix Sampler window
A 4x4 matrix of cells appears on the left. On clicking one of the 16 cells the corresponding controls appear on the right. The Load button allows for loading samples. Several options are available:
- Import an audio file.
- Paste data copied from audio or MIDI track editor.
The text box next to the load button shows the name of the cell, and allows for changing it. The name appears in the cell itself if a sample is loaded.
Volume controls the volume of the sample. Semitones and Cents control the pitch. Stretch can be used to make the sample shorter or longer, so it matches the song tempo. The box accepts fractions, so you can type '120/80' instead of '1.5' to make a 120 BPM sample match your 80 BPM song for example. If Oneshot is engaged the sample will play all the way to the end regardless of note-off messages.
You can use the play button to playback the sample.
The Matrix Sampler responds to messages on all MIDI channels, so the Channel value typically doesn't matter. It does matter if you're recording using the Keyboard Splitter or using multiple keyboards: in these situations you'll want only messages received on this channel to be recognized.
The Matrix Sampler supports the following MIDI messages:
- Note On/Off
- Volume (cont. 7)
- Expression (cont. 11)
The cells are mapped to MIDI notes 36..51.
2. Overview bar shows editor data while scrolling editorThe overview bar (right above the tracks) shows the editor's data while you're scrolling the editor. This works for all editors except the Song Editor and the Multitrack Editor.
Overview bar showing track editor data
The data appears automatically whenever you do any of these things:
- Move the editor needle to the left or right side, so the editor starts auto-scrolling.
- Scroll the editor horizontally with two fingers on the trackpad. (Mac only, requires OS X 10.7 or newer)
- Scroll the editor horizontally using a touchscreen. (Windows only)
3. Audio input level fader appears in main windowThe audio input level fader now appears in the main window, so it's easier to access. It appears automatically when an audio track switches to recording mode, and it hides again when it's no longer useful.
Audio input level fader (near the top)
The fader appeared in the Audio Input Control window until now. The Audio Input Control window has been removed along with the 'Automatically assign channels to tracks' option.
Note: the fader only appears if the audio device supports level control.
4. Automation improvements
- MIDI tracks using External MIDI Instruments now support automation of volume fader/pan knob (works for playback only).
- Convolutor effect: Volume knob can now be automated.
- Compressor, Dynamics, Phaser and Saturator effects no longer use a lot of CPU power while automated knobs are moving.
- Echo effect: Mix knob now controls input of echo loop rather than output. This makes things like adding echoes to certain words only easier (using Automation).
Note: automation is available in the Pro Plus edition only.
- Track audio input selector shows level meters even if Rec button isn't engaged. These meters don't appear in the Lite edition.
- Audio track can now be in practice mode even while other tracks are recording audio.
- Audio devices can have up to 140 channels now (was 96).
- Enable Mixer button is removed from Song Properties window. Any existing songs using this will be converted automatically.
- Mac: editors scroll smoother with trackpad.
- Mac: improved .aif file compatibility.
- Improved LAME MP3 encoder compatibility.
- Pseudo Stereo effect is renamed to Stereo Imager, and now processes stereo input signals as well.
- "Expand to Chord" menu plays the chord before clicking it.
- Onscreen keyboard's Keyboard layout has another octave of keyboard shortcuts.
- Some bug fixes.