MultitrackStudio for iPad version history
Release 4.8.3 (October 17, 2023)
- Fixed: there could be glitches in audio recordings using the built-in mic of some iPad models.
Release 4.8.2 (September 26, 2023)
- Uses MIDI-CI to retrieve program names and controller names from the MIDI Output Device. MIDI-CI is part of MIDI 2.0. Works with USB MIDI 2.0 class compliant devices (requires iPadOS 17).
- Can import .midi2 files (MIDI 2.0 Clip File).
- Fixed: Pro Extension price could take a long time to appear.
Release 4.8.1 (September 14, 2023)
- Fixed: USB audio devices didn't work with iPadOS 17.
Release 4.8 (June 16, 2023)
- The MIDI 2.0 resolutions (16 bits for velocity, 32 bits for controllers etc.) are now preserved in MIDI files used in tracks. The high resolutions do not appear in exported MIDI files. NRPN parameters are used for this, similar to how MultitrackStudio stores per-note controllers in MIDI 1.0 files.
- MIDI values that are 7 bits in MIDI 1.0 are now displayed with one decimal place, unless the decimal is zero (60.9, 61, 61.1 etc.). This applies to note velocities, controller values, aftertouch etc. The controller editor's Dot Editor accepts values like 60.9.
- MIDI 2.0: the new RPN 7 (per-note pitchbend sensitivity) is sent to MIDI Out Device and AU plugins that support the MIDI 2.0 protocol.
- AU plugins: MIDI output can be MIDI 2.0 (requires iPadOS 16).
- Matrix Sampler supports pan MIDI controller and per-note aftertouch ('poly aftertouch'). Also supports MIDI 2.0 per-note volume, pan and expression.
- MIDI Controller editor: the controller selector menu now lists the controllers that are actually supported by the track's current MIDI instrument. This isn't possible for External MIDI Instruments and plugins, some widely supported controllers appear instead for those. The 'Other' submenu is now 'All', and contains all controllers.
- Note Velocity editor indicates which note you're pressing immediately, so you can see it without having to wait for the mode selector to pop up.
- Note Velocity editor now tries to keep the vertical bars within the measure the note's in. The vertical bars will be narrower for measures with many notes. This works better, especially with Pencil or mouse.
- MIDI controller editor / Automated Fader / Automation editor (Pro Extension) 'draw' mode: the first bit you draw is now predictably smooth.
- Multi MIDI Editor: the score view now has a System Spacing setting (tap a clef on the left to access it). Also, the system spacing now takes the actual notes into account. As a result you can see more systems simultaneously.
- Onscreen MIDI Keyboard: Matrix layout pads display note names. The names depend on the MIDI instrument that's responding to the keyboard. The Keyboard Mapper is taken into account.
- Onscreen MIDI Keyboard: Slider menu controller names depend on the MIDI instrument that's responding to the keyboard. Controllers that are actually supported appear bold.
- Onscreen MIDI Keyboard: Presets and Layout menus now have icons.
- Keyboard Mapper can now convert incoming controllers to NRPN.
- PatchMap files can define names for MIDI channels. They appear in the External MIDI Instrument channel selector dropdown menu.
- External MIDI Instrument: swiping over the patch name box vertically increases/decreases the MIDI program number.
- Fixed: Clicking with mouse or Apple Pencil to unselect could accidentally select a dot in MIDI controller editor / Automated Fader / Automation editor (Pro Extension).
- Fixed: 'Import Song' could cause an error.
- Fixed: audio track editor could cause error for a stereo track if a mono audio playback device was used.
Release 4.7.1 (February 22, 2023)
- Fixed: Onscreen keyboard Fourths and string layouts didn't work on iPad Mini.
Release 4.7 (February 20, 2023)
- Onscreen keyboard supports presets.
- Onscreen keyboard features new 'Fourths' layout. Has 8 rows of cells, supports Glide and supports playing multiple notes on a single row.
- Onscreen keyboard Guitar, Bass and Violin layouts now support Glide (optionally).
- Automation Recording for AU plugins (Pro Extension).
- EQ: preset menu items show a small version of the curve you see in the EQ window.
- MultitrackStudio Instruments: Sine Wave instrument now responds to polyphonic aftertouch.
- Grid bars (above the editors) now show markers names instead of just a triangle.
- Fixed: MIDI "poly mode" controller messages were sent instead of "all notes off".
- Fixed: an error could occur if you tapped the 'MIDI Keyboard' button multiple times while an AU plugin was loading.
Release 4.6.1 (October 19, 2022)
- Fixed: Document Picker didn't work in iPadOS 16.
Release 4.6 (October 13, 2022)
- New Poly Modulator MIDI effect.
- New Velocity Curve MIDI Effect.
- Automation editors (Pro Extension), MIDI controller editors and Automated Fader effects: the Dots Editor window that pops up on clicking EDIT when multiple dots are selected can now generate Square waves. The Triangle option now has a Shape slider that can turn the triangle into a sawtooth.
- Audio effects no longer emit old reverb tails etc. when the effect is un-bypassed.
- Note Velocity Editor: with the Drum editor you can now make just a single instrument appear in the Note Velocity Editor by clicking an instrument name on the left (so it's highlighted).
- Onscreen Midi Keyboard now keeps AU plugin loaded if you hide the keyboard, so it's immediately available when you open the keyboard again.
- MIDI effects: 'Apply to track' option can now generate MIDI controllers etc. (it used to do notes only).
- MultitrackStudio Instruments: synths respond to MIDI 2.0 per-note Timbre controllers (controls Resonance).
- MultitrackStudio Instruments: synths respond to MIDI 2.0 per-note Attack and Decay controllers (values at start of note count).
- MultitrackStudio Instruments respond to MIDI 2.0 per-note Release Time controller (value at note-off time counts).
- MultitrackStudio Instruments: Electric pianos respond to note-off velocity.
- Remote Control for transport ("MIDI Learn"). (requires Pro Extension)
- iPadOS 16: layout takes Stage Manager's multitasking handle into account.
- Fixed: Plugin Manager category selector menus didn't fit the screen if the number of categories was very high.
- Fixed: issue with saving/loading MIDI patterns.
Release 4.5.2 (August 22, 2022)
- Fixed: several dialogs could freeze on iPad models without a home button.
Release 4.5.1 (August 8, 2022)
- Apple Pencil: adding notes in MIDI editors can now be done without waiting for the selector to pop up.
- Some tweaks to using a mouse with the MIDI editors.
- Score editor note duration touch handle now offers dotted quarter note.
- 12.9" iPad: there can now still be content panes when tracks have an output selector. (Pro Extension)
- Audio track scrubber uses less CPU.
- Fixed: Multi MIDI Editor: score editor note duration setting made Multi MIDI Editor disappear. (Pro Extension)
- Fixed: Score editor: lasso could select tied notes twice.
- Fixed: Onscreen MIDI Keyboard "Keyboard" layout note-on velocity sensitivity didn't work.
- Fixed: Arpeggiator presets couldn't be imported.
Release 4.5 (May 17, 2022)
- Track editor COPY / PASTE buttons now use iPadOS General PasteBoard. You can now copy/paste audio/MIDI between MultitrackStudio for iPad and MultitrackStudio on a Mac using Universal Clipboard.
- Removed "Copy to General PasteBoard" / "Paste from General PasteBoard" from track editor Copy / Paste menus (the COPY / PASTE buttons themselves do that now).
- 'Export MultitrackStudio Song' / 'Import Song' now have Copy / Paste options respectively. You can now copy/paste songs from Mac to iPad and vice-versa using Universal Clipboard.
- 'Import SoundFont' now has Paste option. You can now copy/paste from Mac to iPad using Universal Clipboard.
- Import/Export dialogs: 'General Pasteboard' options have been renamed to Copy or Paste.
- 'Export Presets' has 'Copy' option.
- 'Export MIDI Tracks' an 'Export Mix' now have 'Name' box.
- 'Export Mix' now has 'Type' en 'Quality' settings. The Pro Extension adds a 'Sample rate' setting.
- External MIDI Instrument: options menu has 'Import' option for patchmap files.
- Missing instrument or MIDI effect plugins are now remembered as 'substitutes'. This makes moving songs back and forth between devices easier. You can replace the Missing Instrument / Missing MIDI Effect placeholder with something you have. When the song is back on the original device you can load the substitute using the instrument/MIDI effect's options menu. Not available for External MIDI Instruments, Virtual MIDI Apps or IAA Apps.
- There's now just one message dialog if multiple plugins or SoundFonts are missing while loading a song.
- Mixer sections can have up to 3 additional audio effect slots, depending on screen size. (requires Pro Extension)
- There can one more Effect Return on 10.5" or larger iPads (12.9" iPads had this already). (requires Pro Extension)
- .midi and .kar files can be imported, pasted or dropped.
- Fixed: error when tapping a crashed AU effect's Reload button twice quickly.
- Fixed: layout issues with iPad Mini 2021.
Release 4.4.1 (April 4, 2022)
- Pianoroll lasso now catches note starts (rather than requiring the first half of the note to be in the lasso).
- Fixed: some AU instruments crashed in iPadOS 15 if the keyboard in its UI was played.
- Fixed: problem with loading songs from desktop version if a mixer section contained more than 3 audio effects.
- Fixed: problem with entering text in the Plugin Manager.
- Fixed: rare exception error with physical (text) keyboard.
Release 4.4 (March 11, 2022)
- User interface has been refreshed.
- The level meters are now between the Rec buttons and the faders, which is where you need them.
- 12.9" iPad: Editor Preview panes are now on the right. They also serve to open/close the track editor (no more longtapping the track name box).
- The current value of knobs (and faders) appears above the knob rather than below, so they're no longer covered by your hand while moving the knob.
- EQ slots show a small version of the curve you see in the EQ pane.
- There's a small meter on Compressor, Dynamics, Master Limiter, MultiBand Compressor, DeEsser and Noise Gate slots.
- Automated Fader slots indicate the current position.
- EQ: Bass and Treble section have Shelve option, this a modern variant of the Vintage option.
- Compressor: curve and history displays more accurately represent what's going on for Vintage and Vintage Warm programs.
- Audio editor data appears faster. It also works better with looping.
- Audio track data that appears on the Overview Bar while scrolling editors now takes the track editor's vertical zoom setting into account.
- Overview Bar: Removed the 'tap-and-drag' way of loop region selection (nobody liked it).
- Overview Bar shows the current editor view area while the editors are scrolling horizontally.
- Pianoroll/score/drum/pitchbend editors: there's a wider area on the left that scrolls mixer sections vertically. It now equal the pianoroll's vertical piano keyboard.
- "Cycling" is now called "Looping".
- Dropping MIDI files with SysEx-only streams on editors works better.
- MIDI file import: markers are ignored if there are more than 20.
- Fixed: Matrix Keyboard produced notes with extremely low velocity.
- Fixed: MultitrackStudio Instruments "Strength" knobs didn't work.
Release 4.3 (October 4, 2021)
- Improved Apple Pencil support. It's no longer used for scrolling, this allows for the editors to work with significantly less press-and-hold operations. Just a few actions require pressing the pencil until the selector appears, most notably adding notes and selecting a part in a MIDI editor.
- AU plugins that support the MIDI 2.0 protocol now receive MIDI 2.0 per-note controls instead of MPE. These plugins can receive MIDI 2.0 per-note pitch bend and all registered per-note controllers except for #3. (requires iPadOS 15)
- Supports AU plugins that convert audio to MIDI.
- Track name box menus now have Duplicate option. It creates a new track with a copy of this track's content.
- Note Editor has per-note articulation setting. It's only available if articulations have been set up for the MIDI instrument.
- Added 'Raw MIDI Channels' Articulation preset.
- Audio can be copy/pasted (or dragged) from audio track editor to Automated Fader, MIDI controller and automation editors. The amplitude envelope or audio pitch will be converted to dots.
- Dots Editor has new Invert action, it flips the dots vertically. Applies to Automated Fader, MIDI controller and automation editors.
- Keyboard shortcuts for Multi MIDI Editor: Command-U = all MIDI tracks, Option-Command-U = MIDI tracks having same color as focused track. (Pro Extension)
- Pianoroll: lassoing notes has been improved to work better with consecutive notes.
- Fixed: MIDI Pattern Editor's Instance Transpose setting didn't work right for Poly Aftertouch, Per Note Pitchbend and Per Note Controllers.
- Fixed: Issue with deleting lassoed notes in pianoroll/score editor.
- Track Pack IAP is discontinued. Its features are now part of the Pro Extension.
Release 4.2 (July 21, 2021)
- 3 additional track colors. The existing ones have been fine tuned.
- MIDI tracks respond to MIDI keyboard if one of its effects is visible (just like it already did for the instrument slot).
- Supports MIDI NRPN parameters.
- Dot Editor now has Position box and "To grid" button. Applies to Automated Fader, MIDI controller and automation editors.
- AU plugins that crash no longer lose their settings when they're reloaded.
- Fixed: Volume fader in audio track Edit Control pane could cause crash under certain conditions.
- Tempo editor 'Stretch Accelerando' option (from SEL menu) now works as expected with mouse or trackpad.
- mouse/keyboard: 'Option' mouse modifier for track's Play, Rec, Mute and Solo buttons: toggles all same-color tracks.
- mouse/keyboard: Shift key can be used in Pianoroll/Drum editors to ignore the Snap button, so you can add/move notes anywhere.
Release 4.1 (April 16, 2021)
- Supports mouse / trackpad / keyboard.
- MIDI 2.0: MIDI device protocol changes are now handled.
- Fixed: The Quantize and Legato options in a MIDI track editor's Edit Control panel didn't update per-note controls.
- Fixed: Copying (imported) MIDI controllers to automation editors: multiple values at the same time location are handled better.
- Fixed some issues that caused exception errors.
Release 4.0.1 (March 19, 2021)
- Fixed: Audiobus didn't work on iPadOS 14.
Release 4.0 (March 15, 2021)
- Supports per-note MIDI controllers (all MIDI 2.0 registered ones except for #3).
- iPadOS 14: supports MIDI 2.0 input/output devices.
- Supports MPE keyboards.
- Supports MPE AU/IAA instruments.
- The MultitrackStudio Instrument support MIDI 2.0 per-note pitch bend, the synths also support per-note brightness (controls the filter cut off frequency).
- Per-note expression for external MIDI instruments ('multitimbral expression').
- Onscreen MIDI keyboard has 'Use per-note pitch bend' option.
- Keyboard Mapper (formerly Keyboard Splitter) can now convert controls to other controls, and it can transpose by a number of semitones. Also added Presets option.
- All editors update the per-note controls automatically.
- Note Off Velocity editor, note-off velocity is supported throughout.
- Pitch bend editors can now zoom and scroll vertically.
- No longer works with iOS 9 and 10.
Release 3.9.3 (January 1, 2021)
- Fixed: SoundFont Player could make app unresponsive on iPadOS 14.
- Fixed: Automated Fader effect didn't remember dot at zero position.
- Fixed: Pianoroll/score editor Repeat option was grayed out when a single note was selected.
Release 3.9.2 (October 26, 2020)
- Fixed: dropping patchmap files (.pmp or .ins) on External MIDI Instrument pane didn't work.
Release 3.9.1 (September 24, 2020)
- Automation editors (Pro Extension), MIDI controller editors and Automated Fader effects: the Dots Editor pane that pops up on clicking EDIT when multiple dots are selected now offers several new functions. Sine or triangle shapes can be created, either in Hertz or in beats. Amplify and the new Vertical Shift can gradually fade in or out.
- SysEx editor supports "sequencer specific meta events". They aren't sent to MIDI instruments (MIDI doesn't allow for that), but they are saved in MIDI files.
- Songs with huge amounts of automation data save/open faster (Pro Extension).
- Quantize and custom grid resolutions can now go up to 16/4.
- MIDI file import/export: Some tweaks regarding SysEx messages. Messages like "XG On" will now appear in exported MIDI files before any other messages if you make sure it's at position 0.
- Fixed: MIDI Patterns could disappear if the Song Editor's insert options were used.
- Fixed: presets exported from desktop version weren't always imported correctly.
- Fixed: Document Picker crashed the app in iOS 9 and 10.
- Fixed many significant issues that caused exception errors. Thanks for sending error reports!
Release 3.9 (July 30, 2020)
- SysEx support: import from/export to MIDI files, edit and playback. Recording not supported. SysEx messages are sent to External MIDI Instruments, AU instruments/MIDI effects and IAA instruments.
- Patchmap import: .ins (Cakewalk instrument definition) files can be dropped on External MIDI Instrument windows, they'll be converted automatically. (iOS 11 and newer)
- Imported patchmaps can now be deleted: swipe left over a menu item and tap Delete.
- Added General MIDI 2, Roland GS en Yamaha XG patchmaps.
- "Percussion Channel" button has been removed from External MIDI Instrument windows. Drum kits now appear in the Patch Selector, and the MIDI channel will be updated automatically on selecting a patch.
- External MIDI Instrument: patch selector has All category.
- Export MIDI Tracks: can optionally export to format 0 file.
- MIDI export/import: lyrics can optionally be UTF8 encoded.
- Improved IAA instrument compatibility for recent iPad models.
- Tuner effect now 'always works', regardless of Rec and/or Soft Monitoring buttons.
- Some other improvements and fixes.
Release 3.8.1 (May 22, 2020)
- Now supports Bluetooth audio output (iOS 10 and newer).
- Fixed: MIDI file export with chords had problem with bass notes ('C#m/G#' would turn into 'G#m').
- Fixed: MIDI file import: bank could be incorrect with certain format 0 MIDI files.
- Fixed: Texts in Channel Output Channels selector (Devices pane) weren't correct for multichannel devices.
Release 3.8 (May 14, 2020)
- Lyrics/Chords prompter and editor. There's a Lyr button in the bottom right corner to show the prompter.
- Lyrics and chords can be imported from MIDI files (chords in XF format).
- Lyrics and chords are included in exported MIDI files. Chords are in XF format, but the file isn't a full blown XF file.
- You can now type comments (anything about this song you want to remember) in the Song Properties pane.
- USB thumb drives now appear in the Document Picker (iPadOS 13).
- Patchmap files can now be imported by dropping them on an External MIDI Instrument window (iOS 11 and newer).
- Zipped songs can now be dropped on the Import MultitrackStudio Song pane (iOS 11 and newer).
- MIDI track "Copy to new audio track" is a bit faster if track uses AU instrument.
- Fixed: score editor didn't get accidentals right for transposed instruments (Bb clarinet etc.)
- Some other fixes.
Release 3.7 (Apr 17, 2020)
- 'Export tracks to audio files...' is renamed to 'Export audio stems...'. It can now export groups as well, and there's an "Include track effects" button.
- Tuner has Pianoroll mode.
- Tuner: pitch detection is more reliable, meter is easier to read, reduced CPU usage.
- Quantize and custom grid resolutions can now be something like "2 in 3/8", which would be duplets. Until now the "3" in this example could only be "1".
- MIDI Controller editors: Dots Editor now has 'Straight Line' option, it connects the first and last selected dots using a straight line.
- Track sidechaining: a track that is sidechain source now still sends sidechain signal if its Mute button is engaged. A track that consumes a sidechain can now be soloed with working sidechains. And it's now easier to use a track as sidechain source only (until now you had to route it to a muted group to mute it). (Pro Extension)
- External MIDI instruments: patchmap can now be set to 'None', this may be more convenient than using a patchmap for a different device.
- External MIDI instruments: the Bank:prog box now accepts something like MSB:LSB:2 (the bank will be calculated from the MSB and LSB values).
- Fixed: Importing audio files: file names starting with a space caused problems.
Release 3.6 (Nov 15, 2019)
- Color, graphics and layout improvements. Editors are a bit wider.
- Added rewind button.
- Swiping left/right over the transport counter now steps through history of recent start positions and last stop position.
- Editors can now have light colors (option in Preferences pane).
- Some bug fixes.
Release 3.5.2 (Sep 27, 2019)
- Document Picker now allows multiple selections, so you can import multiple tracks, soundfonts or impulse responses in one go (iOS 11 and newer).
- "Export tracks as audio files": the Document Picker option now allows for selecting multiple tracks (iOS 11 and newer).
- Document Picker appears larger.
- SoundFont Manager has "Exclude SoundFonts from iCloud Backup" option. You can use this if you have imported a huge amount of soundfonts (which leads to a huge backup size).
- New 'Rewind on stop' option in Preferences pane.
- Added some Christian Thompson presets that make use of the Compressor enhancements in version 3.5.1.
- Some tweaks to adding notes (pianoroll/score) and dots (controller/automation editors).
- No longer works with iOS 8.
Release 3.5.1 (Jul 31, 2019)
- Compressor now has 3 programs: Clean, Vintage and Vintage Warm (it used to be Vintage only).
- Compressor: Clean program has sidechain input selector, so it can be used for ducking etc. (requires Pro Extension)
- AU audio effect and instrument plugins can have sidechain input. It can receive other tracks. (requires Pro Extension)
- Fixed: editing compressed audio files (mp3 etc.) caused error in version 3.5.
- Fixed: an error occurred if an AU plugin app was installed or uninstalled before showing a plugin selector in MTS.
Release 3.5 (Jun 24, 2019)
- Onscreen MIDI keyboard: keyboard, string, drum and matrix layouts are now (optionally) velocity sensitive.
- Onscreen MIDI keyboard: Finger Vibrato option no longer makes keyboard and string layouts monophonic (but finger vibrato only works if just one note is playing).
- Onscreen MIDI keyboard: keyboard, string and matrix layouts can now generate polyphonic aftertouch (by moving finger upwards).
- MultitrackStudio Instruments: bowed strings, winds and synths now respond to polyphonic aftertouch (it increases the volume level).
- Polyphonic aftertouch editor names now mention note name rather than key number (ie. 'C5' instead of '60').
- AU Plugin Manager. You can override plugin name, add category to name and change text that appears in slot. And you can hide a plugin from effect, instrument and/or MIDI effect selectors.
- SoundFont Manager. You can override soundfont name and add category to name.
- AU plugins and IAA apps can now reliably detect MultitrackStudio transport stop.
- Now uses Audiobus SDK 3.0.7.
- Various fixes and improvements.
Release 3.4 (Mar 25, 2019)
- The editor grid can now show triplets (or any tuplet), or have swing.
- The onscreen MIDI keyboard now allows for loading an AU MIDI effect so 3rd party keyboards can be used instead.
- The onscreen MIDI keyboard is now resizable.
- AU MIDI effects that require an (unused) audio input connection are now supported.
- AU MIDI effects: timing accuracy improved.
- Fixed: quantization triplet options had wrong names (triplets of 1/4 instead of triplets of 1/8 etc.)
Release 3.3 (Mar 11, 2019)
- AU plugins: Options menu ('hamburger' button) now has 'Large View' option.
- AU MIDI instruments that can produce MIDI output now have a 'Record MIDI output (to this track)' in options menu. You can use this to record any keyboards the AU UI provides. This option is enabled by default. (requires iOS 12)
- Significant AU compatibility improvements.
- Songs now remember the Solo buttons.
- Improved support for 11" iPad.
Release 3.2 (Feb 28, 2019)
- MIDI editors: you can now select a note by just tapping it (you no longer have to wait for the selector to pop up). Also applies to dots in automation/MIDI controller editors.
- MIDI editors: notes being added are less likely to be covered by your finger.
- MIDI editors: New 'Duration only' quantization type. The existing 'Full' en 'Keep Note Off' types have been renamed to 'Start and End' en 'Keep End'.
- MIDI editors: Quantize resolution selector menu now has 'Type value' option which allows for entering tuplets. You can type '5 in 1/4' to quantize to quintuplets of 16th for example.
- Score editor: vertical zooming now uses much smaller steps, this makes it more useful.
- EQ: graph now has 6 colored dots, corresponding to the 6 EQ bands.Dots can be moved (the corresponding frequency and gain knobs will be adjusted accordingly).Dot movements can be recorded as automation (Pro Extension).
- EQ can now show audio spectrum. The 'Spectrum' menu provides several settings. (Audio spectrum used to be displayed in the Master section only and you couldn't customize anything.)
- An EQ effect in the Master section can now display a reference spectrum. A standard one is built-in, and you can extract the spectrum from audio files using the 'Import' option.
- Master Limiter / Noise Gate: histogram 'curtain' movements can be recorded as automation (Pro Extension).
- External MIDI Instrument windows: Patchmap selection is moved to options menu ('hamburger' button).The default patchmap can be selected there as well (was in Preferences pane).
- Devices pane now has option to enable iOS measurement mode.
- Added audio latency options of 128 and 64 frames.
- SoundFont Player: better support for soundfonts with very large release times (like 'GeneralUser GS'). You need to import the soundfont again to benefit from the improvements.
- AU compatibility improvements.
Release 3.1 (Dec 10, 2018)
- Pro Extension: fader/knob movements can now be recorded as automation. (Works for MTS faders and knobs, not for AU plugins)
- Audio/MIDI editors: 'edit controls' (the panes that appear on tapping an EDIT button) now work live.Any changes you make are applied immediately, so the result is visible (and audible if transport is running).The Apply button is removed, you can of course use the editor's Undo button if necessary.
- Quantize 'swing' options are now separate controls (this makes tweaking it 'live' easier).
- MIDI editors now have Legato option (makes notes longer so they play until the next note starts).
- Note velocity editor: bar moves are now applied immediately, so you can hear the result before lifting your finger.
- The Sustain MIDI controller is now continuous rather than on/off. This allows for 'half pedalling'.
- MultitrackStudio Instruments acoustic pianos now support half pedalling (values 64..95 are 'half').
- AU plugins and IAA apps: in playback mode the plugin UI graphics now sync better with the audio you hear (meters and timelines etc. used to lead very noticably).
- Overview bar: markers that are moved now go to 'nice' position if counter is showing bar:beat (just like thumb).
- Fixed: MIDI pattern editor: track didn't update immediately after editing certain controllers.
- Fixed: resizing or stretching selected part in MIDI editors could be fiddly after scrolling editor horizontally.
- Fixed: score editor didn't immediately display recorded notes after cycle recording.
- Various other improvements, fixes and performance enhancements.
Release 3.0 (Sep 17, 2018)
- MIDI effects (Arpeggiator and AU). AU MIDI effects require iOS 12.
- All MIDI Instruments (except for IAA) now have an option to specify note names. These names appear in the drum editor.
- Articulations for multitimbral External MIDI Instruments and AUi plugins. You can use a MIDI controller to switch between bowed and pizzicato violin, for example.
- Cycling transport: transport bar now has Cycle button.
- 12.9 inch iPad: tracks have Content Panes showing a compact version of the data in the track editor.
- Swipe left over start/stop button to rewind. Also stops transport if it's running.
- SoundFont Player: you can load next/previous soundfont by swiping vertically over SoundFont box (just like you can with the Preset box).
- SoundFont Player: the SoundFont box list now automatically scrolls to the currently loaded soundfont.
- Note Editor pane: you can now type semitone offset in Note box (for example: if it's C5 and you type -2 it becomes Bb4).
- MultitrackStudio Instruments synths: attack is now linear rather than exponential, in order to avoid the synths being noticeably 'late'.
- 12.9 inch iPad: track editors no longer open full-size.
- Level meters no longer have 'LED' segments.
- Editor graphics are more CPU efficient.
- Fixed: Running an audio track in practice mode no longer clears the track editor undo history.
- Fixed: automatic horizontal scrolling while resizing selected part on the right hand side didn't work reliably.
- Various other fixes and improvements.
Release 2.9.1 (Jan 1, 2018)
- Editors distinguish better between finger move and finger press. This reduces the risk of performing edits inadvertently.
- Editors show stretch percentage value while stretching a part.
- Fixed: editor zooming didn't always work the first time you tried.
Release 2.9 (Nov 14, 2017)
- New: MIDI Patterns. You can quickly create a track using patterns. All instances of the pattern will be updated when a pattern is edited, so you can make changes to the whole track quickly. Especially suited for drum or bass tracks etc.
- Fixed: note velocity editor couldn't always be used while transport was running.
- Fixed: soundfont and presets lists weren't always sorted alphabetically.
Release 2.8 (Sep 28, 2017)
- iOS 11: Can drop files on import dialogs, track editors, Convolutor pane, SoundFont Player pane and Matrix Sampler cells.
- Adding notes in pianoroll/score editors: you can now adjust the pitch of the new note by moving your finger vertically. Also applies to adding dots in midi controller editors, automation editors and Automated Fader effect.
- New "Follow" button. Editors don't follow transport position if this button is off. You can use this if you want to apply some edits while the transport is running so you don't have to worry about the editor moving to the next page unexpectedly.
- Pianoroll: 'Split at transport position' now also works when multiple notes are selected.
- Pianoroll/Score editors: 'Split in equal parts' now has 'Other...' option which lets you type any value.
- Pianoroll/Score editors: Repeat now also works if just a single note is selected.
- Drum editor: instrument selector now pops up after longtapping a name box. This is more consistent with the rest of the user interface than double tapping.
- Some (minor) MIDI editor improvements.
- Now uses AudioBus 3 SDK (no new features).
- Improved compatibility with Bram Bos AU plugins.
- Fixed: some AU plugins caused and 'Invalid floating point operation' error on tapping "Export Mix...".
- Fixed: Pitch controller editor's 'R' button (pitch bend range) wasn't always visible.
- Fixed: removing click track could cause error in some cases.
Release 2.7 (Aug 19, 2017)
- Redesigned editor user interface: The mode buttons have been removed. A selector now appears on touching an editor, and you can pick an action by moving your finger in that direction.Editors can now be scrolled at any time without having to worry about the mode buttons.MIDI and automation editors now always use 'handles' to move notes/dots.
- Editors are a bit wider.
- Score editors now have a 'duration' handle. The pitch handle now changes pitch in semitone steps.
- Various editor improvements (both visible and invisible).
- Improved AU compatibility.
- Fixed: Convolutor / Guitar Amp: very short IR files didn't work right.
- The former "iPad Pro Pack" IAP for 12.9 inch iPads is now called "Track Pack", available on all 64 bits iPads. It adds 32 tracks.
- The Pro Extension IAP now includes the Multi MIDI Editor.
- The Pro Extension IAP now includes two extra effect returns on 12.9 inch iPads.
Release 2.6 (Jul 1, 2016)
- Supports AU effect/instrument presets.
- Effect/instrument panes can now be moved anywhere rather than just near the top or at the bottom.
- 12.9 inch iPad Pro: effect/instrument panes now appear close to containing slot rather than near the top or at the bottom.
- Auto Wah effect. (requires Pro Extension)
- Tempo Editor: "Conduct" (tap new tempo for selected part). You can tap an accelerando for example.
- Tempo Editor: SEL menu features 'Stretch' and 'Stretch Accelerando' options. After picking one you can resize the righthand side of the selected part. The accelerando version creates a gradual tempo change. (requires Pro Extension)
- 'Add Click Track': BPM value is no longer limited to whole numbers.
- 'Tap tempo' boxes are more accurate.
- Punch recording with External MIDI Instruments or Virtual MIDI apps: existing signal is now audible, just like it is with audio tracks.
- Fixed: Matrix Sampler inadvertently removed imported samples from iTunes File Sharing folder.
- Various bug fixes.
Release 2.5.2 (Jan 27, 2016)
- Audio track input selector now has 'Practice Mode tracks' option. This records the track which has been switched to practice mode by double-tapping its Play button. Can be used to record output of IAA apps as audio directly, for example.
- IAA instruments: MIDI channel appears in bottom left corner of screen while touching instrument slot.
- Fixed: Echo and Phaser effect automation didn't work right since v2.5. (automation is part of the Pro Extension)
- Fixed: Convolutor effect's Random button could cause error under some circumstances.
Release 2.5.1 (Dec 18, 2015)
- New 'iPad Pro Pack' in-app purchase for iPad Pro devices. Adds Multi MIDI Editor, 2 extra Effect Returns and 32 extra tracks.
- iPad Pro: score editors have SEL button (these options are on the MORE menu on smaller iPads).
- Fixed: AudioShare works again in iOS 9.
- Fixed: Convolutor effect now really has the new Random button.
Release 2.5 (Dec 9, 2015)
- Supports native iPad Pro display resolution, so you can see more tracks and graphics are sharper.
- Guitar Amp effect now features 3 stompbox effects. Each can contain Auto Wah, Booster, Chorus, Compressor, Delay, Echo, Flanger, Noise Gate, Phaser, Pickup EQ, Reverb or Tremolo. Comes with 40 presets by Christian C. Thompson.
- Guitar Amp now allows for loading your own speaker impulse response file (requires Pro Extension IAP).
- AU effects and instruments can be automated (requires Pro Extension).
- While the Automation button (part of Pro Extension IAP) is engaged an 'A' appears on all controls which can be automated, so you can see what can be automated.
- Convolutor effect (part of Pro Extension IAP) now has Random button to make reverbs sound smoother.
- Noisegate effect: the Reduction knob now has immediate effect on sound, even if the gate was closed already.
- Time Signature editor: Time Signature picker now allows for quickly picking any of the song's time signatures without having to type it.
- The 'Vertical' knob mode now responds to vertical movements exclusively, just like most apps.
- Fixed: Multiband Compressor (part of Pro Extension IAP) compression algorithm didn't work quite right.
Release 2.4.1 (Nov 9, 2015)
- Includes almost 150 effect presets by Christian C. Thompson.
- Effect preset support no longer requires Pro Extension IAP.
- All file import/export dialogs now have Documents Picker option. Gives access to iCloud Drive, DropBox is available too if the DropBox app is installed.
Release 2.4 Oct 16, 2015)
- Improved graphics and layout.
- Audio Unit icon now appears in the effect/instrument slot (iOS 9).
- Onscreen keyboard: all layouts (except Guitar) are a bit lower so they fit below an Audio Unit instrument.
- Onscreen keyboard: the volume slider can now be assigned to any controller (including pitch bend and note velocity).
- Onscreen keyboard: the Drum layout pads sound a bit louder in the top-right corner, allowing for more expression. The Bass, Snare and Side pads sound a bit louder in the top-left corner because they are typically played using the left hand.
- MIDI controller/automation editors: VIEW button has been removed, you can now tap the name (on the left) instead.
- CPU Usage indicator now shows total CPU usage rather than just MultitrackStudio, so Audio Units and IAA apps etc. are included too.
Release 2.3.1 (Sep 30, 2015)
- Supports iOS 9 Audio Unit effects and MIDI instruments. Note: presets and automation are currently not supported.
- Some bug fixes.
Release 2.3 (Sep 17, 2015)
- Pianoroll, drum and score editors now feature handles for manipulating selected notes. The handles appear at the bottom and right hand side of the editor. There's a "Handles for MIDI notes" option in the Preferences pane.
- Editors: the SEL menu now has a 'Find Selected Part' option.
- MIDI editors: 'Merge' option is now called 'Merge Paste'.
- Some minor MIDI editing improvements.
- iOS 9: Audiobus connection panel appears on the left, so it doesn't interfere with Slide Over.
- iOS 9 fix: Pro Extension didn't become available after purchase or restore.
Release 2.2 (Aug 19, 2015)
- Pro Extension now features multichannel audio playback. Tracks, groups and effect returns get an output selector to choose from the Master section and all stereo output pairs other than the one the Master section uses.
- Rotary knobs can now optionally be controlled using vertical movements. See the 'Allow vertical movements' box in the Preferences pane.
- IAA, Virtual MIDI and External MIDI instruments no longer solely rely on 'all notes off' MIDI messages to mute pending notes. It appears many iOS apps don't respond to this message.
Release 2.1.1 (Jul 18, 2015)
- Master Limiter effect now has RMS output level meter.
- Pianoroll: selected notes which are long enough get resize grip to move start of note (in addition to the one at the end of the note).
- Pianoroll: notes that are too high/low to appear in the pianoroll appear dimmed above/below the pianoroll while scrolling vertically.
- Score editor: notes shorter than current grid can be added/moved accurately without having to change the grid first.
- Supports MIDI via Bluetooth LE (MultitrackStudio acts as Central, so it can connect to Peripherals)
- External MIDI Instruments, Virtual MIDI and IAA Instruments: no pitch bend range messages are sent if the pitch bend range is set to zero. Can be useful if the instrument uses controllers 100/101 for something other than RPNs.
- Fixed: SoundFont Player ignored note-offs with certain soundfonts. You'll have to re-import these soundfonts.
- Better handling of some out-of-storage-space situations.
- Now requires iOS 8 or newer.
- Various bug fixes.
Release 2.1 (May 16, 2015)
- Now includes 64 bits version (better performance).
- On 64 bits iPads the Guitar Amp effect uses 4x oversampling instead of 2x (better sound).
- Semi-transparent 'Rewind' / 'To last start' hints appear on touching transport counter box.
- Onscreen MIDI keyboard is a bit smaller (except for Guitar and Drums layouts).
- Height of full-size tracks is now automatically adjusted when MIDI keyboard appears or hides again.
- Audiobus now works with 32 bits values instead of 16 bits.
- Uses Audiobus 2.1.6 SDK.
- Some graphics and user interface improvements.
- Punch-in recording: transport now automatically starts at least one bar before punch-in point (2 seconds if editor timescale isn't set to bars).
- Improved MIDI recording compatibility (recording MIDI data from certain apps didn't work).
- Fixed: error message could appear after purchasing Pro Extension.
- Fixed: issue with sending volume controllers (#7) to External MIDI Instruments
Release 2.0 (Apr 20, 2015)
- Extension Pack (in-app purchase) is now called Pro Extension.
- Pro Extension: Songs can have either an extra Effect Return or up to 8 Groups.
- Pro Extension: Time stretching in track editors.
- Pro Extension: Tempo editor can process audio tracks.
- Pro Extension: Create new song using current as template.
- Pro Extension features Phase Inverter effect.
- Can now record multiple Audiobus sources simultaneously.
- Uses Audiobus 2.1.5 SDK.
- Improved transport cycling: Overview bar remembers cycle region after transport stopped, longtapping Play button starts cycling, transport menu features 'Set Cycle Start' and 'Set Cycle End' options.
- Editors: add and draw modes can be sticky (see 'Sticky add/draw modes' setting in Preferences pane).
- Editors: tweaked graphics to make it easier to see which mode an editor is in.
- MultitrackStudio Instruments: step through presets by swiping vertically over the instrument box. Also works for SoundFont Player presets and the Pro Extension's Convolutor effect impulse responses.
- Tempo editor shows mixed version of tracks in background.
- Matrix Sampler now displays the note to which the current cell responds.
- Fixed: SoundFont Player ignored pitch bend range setting.
- Fixed: Matrix Sampler's Volume knob settings weren't stored and recalled correctly.
- Several other fixes.
Release 1.8 (Mar 13, 2015)
- MultitrackStudio Instruments: virtually all instruments sound better. Acoustic pianos respond to Soft pedal (controller #67). Bowed strings and many winds respond the Legato controller (#68). Synths have Filter and Resonance knobs. Drums have Bass/Snare/Toms/Hihat/Ride/Crash level knobs.
- Track editors can copy to (or paste from) General Pasteboard or AudioShare. Swipe horizontally over the COPY (or PASTE) button to access these options.
- MIDI editors: added 'swing' options to quantize resolution box.
- MIDI pitch controller editor now has 'R' button to set pitch bend range.
- 'Export MIDI tracks' can export to General Pasteboard.
- Tracks can be switched to Practice Mode by doubleclicking the track's Play button. Tracks can now be in Practice Mode regardless of instrument or effect panes being visible. Having multiple tracks in practice mode simultaneously is now possible.
- Tempo editor: BPM lower limit lowered to 8 BPM, so there's more room for fermata.
- Soft-monitored audio tracks: level meter shows speaker symbol to indicate output clipping (the meter itself shows the input level).
- Fixed: Stereo Imager wouldn't convert stereo input to pure mono (Width=0 didn't work).
- Extension Pack now features Multiband Compressor effect.
Release 1.7 (Nov 13, 2014)
- 'Export MIDI Tracks' and 'Export Mix' can export via email (as .mid and .m4a file respectively).
- Other apps can open audio and MIDI files in MultitrackStudio via 'open in'. Works with the Mail app for example.
- Note velocity editor now has 'draw' mode.
- Score editor: MORE button menu now features all options from the missing SEL button menu (Select Right etc.).
- GM SoundFonts can be used as default MIDI instrument (in Preferences pane).
- 'Ultra Low' option added to Audio Latency box (in Devices pane). It equals 128 frames buffer size.
- Uses Audiobus 2.1.5 SDK.
- Extension Pack now features effect and instrument user presets.
- Fixed: swiping with two fingers over empty space below tracks could cause app to hang.
- Fixed: app crashed on importing extremely large files via AudioShare.
Release 1.6 (Oct 23, 2014)
- Improved IAA compatibility.
- MIDI output of IAA instruments can be recorded (there's a 'MTS IAA Recording' virtual MIDI destination for this).
- Using instrument apps via MIDI+Audiobus is easier: Instrument selectors now list 'Virtual MIDI Apps'. An app's MIDI output can be recorded using the new 'MTS Virtual MIDI Recording' virtual MIDI destination. Audiobus monitoring has been improved for this scenario.
- Some SoundFont Player issues are fixed.
- Audio track input selector level meters work smoother.
Release 1.5 (Sep 22, 2014)
- Matrix Sampler.
- Matrix onscreen keyboard.
- Pseudo Stereo effect is renamed to Stereo Imager, and now processes stereo input signals as well.
- "Expand to Chord" menu plays the chord you're touching (move finger out of highlighted area to avoid expanding to chord).
- Uses Audiobus 2.1.3 SDK.
- Fixed: External Instrument's patch selector didn't work right.
Release 1.4 (Aug 22, 2014)
- Overview bar (above tracks) shows editor data while scrolling an editor. Works for all editors except the Song Editor.
- Editors: needle no longer moves while scrolling with one finger. Use two fingers to move needle too.
- Opening track editor: height is identical to existing open track editors (if any).
- Editors scroll faster after scrolling in the same direction repeatedly.
- Track name box flashes after closing the track editor, making the track easier to find.
- Audio input level fader now appears in the main view when it's needed (the Input button is removed).
- Audio track: input selector shows level meters even if Rec button isn't engaged.
- New 'Chords' onscreen keyboard (play chords with one finger).
- Onscreen keyboard: keys can be wider (zoom with two fingers on the gray bar at the top).
- Reverb effect now has Lo Freq, Lo Mult, Hi Cut, Spin en Width knobs.
- Uses Audiobus 2.1.2 SDK (iOS 8 ready). iOS 7 or newer is now required because of this.
- Extension Pack (in-app purchase) now includes mixer and effect automation.
- Fixed: audio editors could flicker while scrolling backwards.
Release 1.3.3 (Jul 3, 2014)
Release 1.3.2 (Jun 23, 2014)
- Drum editor: instruments can be re-ordered by dragging the names up or down.
- Drum editor no longer prematurely removes empty instruments.
- Dragging from audio to drum editor now always converts to beats rather than pitched notes.
- Pianoroll/score/drum editors: lassoed notes are now audible.
- Score Settings pane no longer prematurely removes redundant key signature lines (from 'Edit changes' table).
- 'Cycle last cycled part' option on counter menu.
- 'Record Master' is removed from recording options menu. An audio track's input selector now features a 'Master Out' option instead.
- Some bug fixes.
Release 1.3.1 (May 28, 2014)
- 'Extension Pack' IAP:
- Up to 32 tracks (instead of 16).
- Convolutor effect with Vintage Reverbs.
- Dynamics effect (supports sidechaining).
- Transposer effect (audio pitch shifting).
- Vocal Tuner effect.
- Audio pitch shifting in track editors.
- Track editors ('part mode'): data moves visually while dragging selected part.
- Editors: SEL menu has 'Play Cycling' option.
- Song Editor, Tempo Editor and Automated Fader: swipe over bottom part to scroll horizontally.
- Manual viewer: tap top bar to scroll all the way up.
- Performance improvements.
- Some bug fixes.
Release 1.3 (Apr 18, 2014)
- Audiobus support (acts as output in Audiobus app).
- Additional MIDI Clock output options to sync apps.
- Editors: 'Select All' button is now 'Sel', offers Select All/Select Right/Unselect Right options.
- Tempo editor: added up/down buttons in Edit pane.
- Click track: bar accents are more pronounced.
- Some bug fixes.
Release 1.2.2 (Mar 28, 2014)
- 'Generator' type IAA apps can be used in a MIDI track's Instrument Slot.
- IAA app icons appear in effect/instrument slots.
- Guitar Amp and EQ effects: performance improvements.
- MIDI input/output devices: tighter timing.
- Custom track editor heights now persist if app is restarted.
- Compressor effect: fixed rare error message.
- Some bug fixes.
Release 1.2.1 (Feb 27, 2014)
- MultitrackStudio Instruments: synths have Cutoff knob, some instruments have button to disable built-in guitar amp simulators etc., so you can add you own instead.
- Transport counter: swipe left to fully rewind, swipe right to return to most recent start position.
- Editors: Position thumbs now snap to grid if Snap is enabled.
- Editors: Swipe down over begin or end of selected part to zoom in. Old zoom level is restored on lifting finger.
- Editors: Improved zooming behaviour.
- Editors: Visual feedback on touching edge or center selected part.
Release 1.2 (Feb 12, 2014)
- Added: SoundFont Player.
- MIDI tracks now have "Copy to new audio track" option (longtap the track name box).
- Audio tracks now have "Apply effects" option (longtap the track name box).
- File import dialogs can now delete files from iTunes File Sharing folder.
- Fixed: Import Song caused error on clicking OK if no song was selected.
Release 1.1.1 (Feb 3, 2014)
Release 1.1 (Jan 21, 2014)
- Added Inter-App Audio support.
- Added AudioShare and General Pasteboard audio/MIDI import/export options.
- Added "MIDI Output Sync Code" box to Devices pane.
- Fixed problem with dragging from MIDI to audio editor repeatedly.
Initial release (Jan 6, 2014)